Chapter Four

As the day continued all the teachers and students alike seemed to be in much shock due to the escaped from Azkaban. It seemed that none of the teachers were too keen on the day's lessons. Most students who were old enough to fight in the war were dazed anyway. Only the first and second years really didn't understand why everyone was so shaken up. Draco was far too worried to pay any attention to Mr. Binns boring history lesson. Besides he could always just read it in Hogwarts: A History later. 

Finally, after Transfiguration class it was time to go to the great hall for dinner. Harry found Draco within a matter of seconds, as both of them had just finished possibly the saddest and most boring transfiguration class in all eight of their years at Hogwarts.

"Hey Draco!" Harry shouted through the crowd as he caught up with Draco after class. Draco had hurried out to avoid having to talk to Potter and now they were on a first name basis? Whatever the wonderful boy-who-lived had to say, Draco was sure could wait. He didn't want to deal with politics and picking sides. He just wanted it all to be over. 

"Oh. Er...." Draco hesitated as Harry grabbed his shoulder and turned him about to face the other boy. Should I say Harry instead of Potter? Would it seem as if we were truly friends if I did? What would my father think if I became friends with Potter er Harry? Draco quickly pushed the thoughts of his father out of his mind.

"Hey about what Hermione said-" Harry began.

"No. It's fine. We've discussed the situation. Are they keeping an eye on you too or did they decide you don't need it? Being all "stopped the Dark Lord" and everything." Harry looked confused and Draco elaborated.

By the time Draco had finished talking about the whole ordeal they were at the Great Hall. Harry had disclosed that he and McGonagall had discussed Harry not leaving the castle as well. Both boys let it show that they were both a little grateful to not have to be the only one sentenced to eternity in the castle. Draco and Harry waved each other farewells and parted ways. Harry to the Gryffindor table on one side of the hall. Draco to the Slytherin table on the opposite side.

"Hey Draco" Blaise shouted from his seat at the front of the table, patting the bench where he had saved Draco a spot. Draco took the seat.

"Hey Blasie, How was your bloody day?" Draco asked pretending to care. When in fact he was looking across the hall eyeing a certain Gryffindor.

"...Draco are you even listening?" Pansy said sitting down next to him.

"Huh? Yeah. Yeah. Sure." Draco responded not sure what he was agreeing to.

"Great so we're all dying our hair Gryffindor red?" Blaise joked.

"Yeah. Sure." Draco sighed.

Laughs erupted from the whole table. Finally breaking Draco out of his mindless gazing at the Gryffindor. Draco looked to the staff table hoping none of the teachers, especially Snape, noticed he was staring across the hall. Snape caught Draco's eyes. The professor slowly tilted his head in Harry's general direction and Draco couldn't help but blush a little. He felt the warmth on his checks and turned back to his laughing friends.

 Had he noticed? Draco thought, Merlin's beard I sure hope not! I don't need to explain THAT of all things to him or my father. He shuddered at the thought of his father finding out. He couldn't fathom his father finding out he had affection towards other boys let alone the idea that Potter of all people be the object of it.  

"HA HA! THINK YOU'RE FUNNY DO YOU?" Draco scowled at the table and most of them shut up quickly. It was good to know he still pulled some weight amongst his peers. At the very least, he was still one of the richest wizards in the school. He glared at Blaise. "Sorry. I'm a little out of it today. What with my father escaping and everything else"

"Everything else?" Pansy Prodded once more. She was determined to find out what was going on with her friend.

Draco wasn't sure what everything else meant. Wasn't his father his biggest obstacle right now? Yes. But for several reasons. He wanted to turn around and find Harry in the crowd again. 

"Well and studies of course. My grades have never been worse." Draco lied. His schoolwork had never been easier. He enjoyed burying his nose in books and papers this term. It got his mind off his father and Potter. Whom was taking up more and more space as the days went on.

"oh." was Pansy's disappointed response, "I see." 

Draco sighed "Yeah. Well, it can only get better right?"

The three Slytherins smiled at one another. They finished their dinner in silence and left the hall together. Draco made one last glance and looked for Harry amongst the Gryffindor students. Unfortunately, Draco was unable to find him, and he felt his hear slowly drop in his chest. He let out a sign and left with Pansy and Blaise towards the Slytherin common room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~☆~~~~~~~~~~~~Sorry for the short chapter! I haven't updated in a while, so I needed something to keep you all entertained! I promise the next chapter will be longer!