Chapter Fifteen

As he and Hermione walked around the castle grounds they remained quiet. Something was bugging Hermione and she just couldn't hold it in anymore.

"Why do you look so sad?" She looked into his eyes. She entwined their fingers together. "Was it something I said?"

"Not sad Hermione." He paused before continuing as if weighing out what to say. "What Potter said."

Hermione looked at him confused. She wore a face that begged elaboration because for once she had no idea what he was talking about.

"What with the death eaters still at large what if they attack the school again?"

"Then we fight like last time." She grasped his arm tight in a reassuring way.

"That's the problem. I didn't fight. I'm a coward. I stayed hidden away. I didn't defend my school. I had a responsibility to the school the children and I failed them."

He hung his head. He was always so hard on himself. It broke Hermione's heart to see him like this. He had done his job. He had done what was expected of him. What Dumbledore had ordered him to do.

"Hey." Said Hermione stopping to stand in front of him she wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her head in his chest. "I don't think you're a coward. I think you're the bravest man I've even known."

He smiled slightly and planted a small kiss on her lips.

Hermione pulled away quickly. She turned her head towards the edge of the forest. "Did you see that?"

He turned around as well to face the forest. "See what?"

"Right there at the edge of the forest. There was someone there. I could have sworn it was..." Hermione trailed off.

It can't be. Thought Hermione. She had been right of course, however it was hard to think that once again the deatheaters had gotten into Hogwarts.

"Bella..." Severus finished for her. Sure enough Bellatrix had skipped triumphantly out of the forest her vile giggle echoing in Hermione's ears like the call of a million crows.

Severus' wand was drawn faster than Hermione thought she had ever seen him move. Although there was that one time when he had dueled Mcgonagall and that had been scary to watch.

Hermione had pulled out her wand as well. Her hand was shaking but not with uncertainty, with fear. Bellatrix had tortured her. She still had the nasty scars to prove it. One of which was the word 'mudblood' written on her left forearm.

"Hello filthy traitor." Bella gave a snort of excitement. "Oh and the filthy little mudblood."

Severus noticed Hermione's trembling hand and stepped closer to her and more in front of her. He made sure not to stand in front of her wand just in case.

"Protecting the little mudblood now are you?!" She all but screamed "You have always disgusted me!"

Severus' face tensed but he held his glare on Bella. He said nothing and did nothing. Although his breathing was steady there seemed to Hermione that something was off about him.

"Don't call her that." He stated flatly Glaring daggers into Bella's eyes.

Bellatrix raised her wand higher ready to strike. "Crucio!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm so sorry I haven't written in forever! I'm working on a new fanfic that will be out tomorrow!