Chapter Four

My fingers toyed with the frayed edge of the sling. The doctor had placed my arm in a cast and forced that into a sling, insisting that I refrain from moving it too much. The copper wolf, Serendipity, had phased back into her human form while I was in the infirmary. She now sat on the couch that was opposite the bed in this small room.

"Sit. All that pacing can't be good for your head."

I stopped and looked over at het, taking in her red curly locks and dull green eyes. If she hadn't smelled the same as the copper wolf, I would've thought her to be a vampire since her skin was so pale. She motioned to the space next to her on the couch, but I shook my head and continued pacing. Standing, she grabbed my shoulders and shoved me onto the couch, glaring down at me.

"Look, I get it. You're worried. Your brother's back there and you're scared he won't come back. But right now, you need to relax because I refuse to get into trouble for you hurting yourself even more by fainting, okay?"

"Okay."

She sighed and sat down next to me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I know it's no excuse, but I'm worried too. That Eric guy is hard to kill. We've tried for so many years, but he just won't stay dead. We can't lose another Alpha. Camdyn doesn't have an heir yet, so the two Betas would fight for the position of the next Alpha. That would split the pack. Also, my father is one of the Betas and I don't like the possibility of losing-"

"Let me go back to Camdyn's room. I can kill Eric. I can. Please, let me go. Let me try. I don't want anyone getting hurt because of me."

"I can't do that. The Alpha would have my head."

"I can talk to him. Please, let me try!"

"I was given orders-"

"Oh, come on!"

"-and I won't go against my Alpha."

"Good to hear that." A familiar voice came from the doorway.

"Camdyn!" My head snapped to the right and at the sight of him, my whole body relaxed. "Where's Caleb?"

"Cleaning up. He's okay though."

"Thank God."

Camdyn walked into the room, stopping to crouch before me, his fingers brushing over the bandage on my forehead. Serendipity raised a brow at me, smirking when I blushed, and then slipped out the door, shutting it behind her.

"How are you?"

"Okay, I've been better. Maybe I should get a room close to the infirmary."

He frowned and didn't reply to my comment. Instead, he directed the conversation in a different direction. "What are your plans for school?"

"I want to at least graduate from high school."

"Okay. We'll enroll you at the local one."

"Thank you."

The door opened and when I saw my brother standing there, I ran over to him and threw my good arm around him. He patted my back awkwardly and chuckled softly at my actions. "Hey lil sis. Good to see you too."

"Where have you been?"

"Taking care of Eric."

"Are you hurt? Did he hurt you? I'll kill him."

"Calm down, angel." His nickname for me settled my nerves. He gently pushed me away from him and walked over to the couch, flopping down on the cushions.

"Why'd you call her 'angel'?" Camdyn's voice sounded strained. I remember how the crystal ball had shown him an angel when he held it. Maybe I should pretend to figure it out now.

No, you idiot. Wait for him to admit it.

It doesn't seem fair.

What happened to 'no mates'? Ice cream all the way!

How could having a mate be so bad? Plus, he's hot.

Vampires want to kill werewolves. You're half-vampire.

I'm also half-werewolf. Shouldn't I be trying to kill myself?

Self-preservation. Also, I wouldn't want to have to give up all this power.

Wait... who are you?

The vampire half of you.

Well, can you do me a favor and shut up? I'm doing this. I'm telling Camdyn.

His funeral.

Blinking, I found myself standing next to the door while Caleb told Camdyn about why my mom named me Legna. I was her little angel. Her little miracle. Once Caleb was done with his little speech, Camdyn turned to me, eyes wary. He shifted on his feet and ran a hand through his hair.

"Wait..." I trailed off, pretending to think. "The angel in the crystal ball. You're thinking that I could be your mate, aren't you?"

Way to go, leave it to him.

You're gonna kill him. The voice of my vampire half sang out gleefully and I frowned. She sounded like she hated Camdyn, but does that mean that it's not convinced that he's my mate or that he's not my mate for her? Do I possibly have two mates?

I won't kill him.

Okay, maybe you won't, but I will.