Chapter Sixty-Four

Christmas dawned sunny and pure white, and as Kelly opened her eyes and saw the icicles hanging from the eaves just beyond the windows behind their bed, she smiled even as she blinked sleep out of her eyes. It was a picture perfect Christmas morning--or it would be, if Amy and Alyssa were both home as well. But, they would be home soon and then it really would be Christmas. Probably the most perfect Christmas she could recall in a long time.

Tony's arm lay draped over her waist, his fingertips brushing her stomach, and he snored softly behind her. She snuggled closer, letting the heat from his body sink into hers. She was perfectly content to lay there, cozy against him. It was something she once daydreamed about, but those daydreams didn't even come close to what the reality of it was.

His fingers twitched in his sleep, tightening against her. Then his arm tightened. And his snores became a soft sigh as he tugged her against his chest. She smiled into her pillow, watching as the diamonds in her engagement and wedding rings sparkled like those icicles in the sunlight. He had excellent taste in jewelry, which was a good thing, since he'd picked both out on his own. And although they had only been together a short time, he nailed her tastes beautifully. Simple. Elegant. Perfect.

"I am a lucky woman," she murmured, threading her fingers through his and smiling as his hand tightened about hers.

"Why this time?" Tony whispered, making her jump as he brushed his lips against her shoulder.

"Because I'm right where I want to be, with the man I want to be with," she replied, turning to look at him over one shoulder. "And I didn't know you were awake."

"I wasn't, until you pressed up against me." He pulled her a little closer still. "Actually, you woke part of me and it woke the rest of me."

"Oh, sorry."

"Don't be. There are worse ways to wake up, trust me." He eased his hand beneath her camisole to brush her stomach. "How're you feeling this morning?"

"I haven't felt queasy in a few days. I think it's finally tapering off."

"Good." He kissed her shoulder once more. "Merry Christmas, Kelly."

She carefully rolled to face him, sliding an arm about his waist. "Merry Christmas, Tony."

His eyes were still heavy-lidded with sleep and his hair poked up at odd angles, but he smiled as he said, "I'm amazed no one else is awake yet. I thought for sure Shane would be up with the sun. What time is it?" He lifted his head to peer at the clock on her nightstand. "Eight-thirty. Maybe we should go check on--"

"Mom? Tony?" Shane's voice floated through the door, slowly rising with excitement. "Santa came!"

"You can come in, honey," Kelly told him.

The door opened and both Shane and Deirdre stood on the opposite side, smiling sleepily, "Merry Christmas, Kelly! Merry Christmas, Daddy!"

"Merry Christmas, guys," Tony said with a grin. "Did you just get up?"

"Merry Christmas, Dee," Kelly said as she and Tony both sat up. She waved them over the threshold. "Come in. It's okay, really."

"We've been up for a while, haven't we, Shay?" Deirdre carried in a tray bearing two plates with pancakes and bacon on them, two cups of coffee, half and half, sugar, syrup, and silverware. "We thought for once, we'd make you guys breakfast."

"And the paper was already here, so..." Shane came around to Kelly's side. "Can I come up?"

"Sure." Kelly patted the bed beside her. "There's room for both of you, and from the looks of it, plenty of breakfast as well. Have either of you eaten yet?"