Chapter 2

The picture above is of Melody.

Chapter 3

       I went to bed when I got home and when I woke up, I was very disappointed. I was hoping that it actually was a dream, no matter how real it felt. However, I woke up in my old bed with no sign of my three kids or my wife. I sighed, rubbing my face with my hands. I hated this. I did not want to live through everything again, even though this time was different.

       Then again, I did make the final shot and the whole school didn't hate me. Maybe....maybe this timeline was better.

       I got to school the next day, once again being greeted by the basketball team when I was at my locker. "Where were you yesterday?" Briggs asked. "It seemed like you were avoiding us all day."

       "I wasn't," I said. "I just had to be away from everyone. You know, too much adrenaline from the game and I needed some alone time."

       "It didn't seem like alone time," one of my teammates, Alex, said with a smile.

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you talking about?"

       "In the library," he said. "You seemed pretty comfortable with that girl."

       "What girl?" Matt asked. "Annie?"

       Alex shook his head, still smiling. "Nah, not Annie. She was blonde, green eyes, beautiful. What happened with Annie, anyway? She seemed really pissed yesterday."

       "We broke up," I said.

       Briggs raised an eyebrow. "You and Annie broke up? Why? Weren't you together for a year or something."

       "Yes, we were," I said. "But we don't have that spark anymore." All of the guys looked at each other with a knowing look on their faces. "What? Why do you all have that look?"

       "Because we all know you," Matt said. "We know when something is on your mind and right now, it's a girl, isn't it?"

       I shook my head, even though it was true. I had a conversation like this originally, but it was because they were all pestering me since I was off the team. And that time, Melody actually was on my mind. I didn't like her yet, but she was my only friend then.

       "I bet it was that girl he was with in the library," Alex said. "So, what's her name? Wait...." He looked at the locker across from mine, seeing Melody taking out some of her books. "There she is! Go say hi, Luke."

       "Melody?" Matt asked. "You like Melody?"

       "What? No," I lied. I didn't know why, but he had a hint of stern in his voice. It could be because Melody was his little sister after all. "We're partners for an art project, that's all."

       "Matt, you know that girl?" Briggs asked. "I haven't seen her around before. Is she new?"

       I was so close to laughing. Now I knew why Melody was constantly calling herself the nobody of the school.

       "Yeah, Matt," I said, just to see if he would say that Melody was her sister. "How do you know her? Is she new?"

       When the bell rang, the basketball team didn't wait to hear Matt's answer before walking away. However, Matt stayed behind a bit. "How do you know Melody?" Matt asked.

       "Like I said, we're partners for an art project," I said. "And why aren't you telling everyone that she's your sister?"

       "Why would you think she's my sister?" Matt asked.