Flames for Aerial

"What's wrong with her?" L questioned, frowning as he sat on the bed beside A. "Watari, why won't she wake up?" 

But Watari hadn't spoken in hours. Ever since he had brought A from the coffee shop to the hotel, he had been silent. Did he know something? Had he known this would happen?

"Watari. Why won't she wake up? Is she dying?" L had an excellent poker face, but it was so tempting to let it fall. But he hadn't cried in years. Not since he was younger... He had built walls to protect himself. 

The elder man sighed audibly, causing L to glance at him curiously. "She will be okay for now."

L paused, waiting for him to say something else. But he didn't. "For now? So she is dying?"

Watari's face was grave. "I was anonymously informed of this event beforehand. I thought it was some practical joke, but now I see he was being truthful."

"What are you talking about? Who called you?" L had never yelled at his father before. Not once. But it was hard not to. He had known that A would collapse like this, and he had done nothing to stop it from happening. "Who called you, Watari?" L's voice rose.

Watari had never seen this side of L before. It was hard not to be intimidated. He seemed... different. Evil. Capable of anything. "I could tell it was a man, but the number was untraceable, and I couldn't tell who it was." 

"When did he call? What did he say?!" L was getting desperate. 

"He simply said that A would be delivered to us in a few days time. He said her mind wasn't in the right place, and she wouldn't get better. He said she had the Thorns of Death."

"Thorns of Death?" L asked questioningly. What in the world was that?

"He said she was not who she seemed, and she was dangerous."

Dangerous. A. Dangerous. Those two words didn't go together. A would not even hurt a fly. "You're wrong. She's still the same. Just a bit more anxious and paranoid. Watari you didn't talk to her. She's still the same."

"Ryuzaki, she needs rest. Whatever this is that's hurting her, we need to leave her be for now."

"I'm staying with her. I'm not losing her again." 

And Watari didn't argue, for as much as L tried to hide it, he saw that streak on his cheek. He knew L was serious. He never cried, so this had to be important. 

"Tell me when she wakes up. I will do some research."