Day 1: Memories

Day number one after he'd brought A to the hotel. He knew she needed rest, but he found it odd that she hadn't even stirred yet. Not even when he waited for so long.

He'd sat in his normal position, knees pulled to his chest, leering over her. 'Does she even know?' He thought, then sighed quietly. He had a high level of patience for long cases, so this was natural for him. But somehow, with A, everything was different. She has awoken something in him that he hadn't felt in years. A sensation, seeping into his skin each and every moment he sat beside the girl on the bed. It made him feel... Strange.

But he liked the feeling. He now knew he had missed it, since he put his walls up. She was the reason he'd built those walls to begin with. Ever since he'd met this girl, first in line to succeed him, he knew she was going to change the world. But then...

Everything changed. She started getting... What was the word for it? Depressed. She didn't seem to be happy with her life anymore. She began isolating herself, not being social like she had been. 'You wouldn't understand, L.' She had told him one day. The last day he personally spoke to her alone, without the rest of the students present.

'You wouldn't get it. You don't feel emotions like I do.'

He wanted to tell her she was wrong. But he didn't. He hesitated, wondering how she was feeling. Was it different than how he felt?

'Listen to me, A... I understand how you feel.' He'd told her, but it was clear she wasn't listening to a word he spoke.

Her brown hair hung in her face, matted and full of tangles. She'd stopped caring how she looked, and locked herself in her room for days on end. A looked at the computer screen, her eyes hardly visible through her hair. But L knew that look. Determination and fear.

'I'm trying my best here, L, but I can't do it anymore. I have no chance... I'm useless.' She'd muttered, a tear falling down her frail cheek. 'I used to think I could take your place, but now I can see clearly. I'm nothing compared to you. Everyone else is better than me, so you can choose one of them.'

L put his thumb to his lips in deep thought. She wasn't thinking about... 'You are the number one ranking in every test we've put you through. Clearly you're the best choice for my successor. A, I believe in you. You just have to believe in yourself.'

A shook her head, placing her feet on the floor, beginning to stand. She was too far gone, she didn't see how wrong she was. L called after her, but she exited the room, leaving the door open so L saw her, watched her, walk away and head for her room.

It was the last time he'd seen her. No... He'd seen her afterwards. But that was when...

When she'd done something unthinkable, but she clearly thought about it.

Matt was the first to figure it out. He slammed his fists on her door, screaming in sadness and grief. The two had been best friends ever since Matt came to the orphanage. Mello heard him screaming, and ran to get Roger. The two had found Matt in BB's lap as they knelt on the floor, both faces tattooed with tears. Roger opened the door, and everyone was in shock.

A had committed suicide.

Her death is what caused L, as well as Matt and BB, to lose their old spark.

It was the most tragic day Wammy's had ever known.

{A/N: I was in a mood today, please don't hate me. I'm sorry for making this chapter sad, I just didn't know how to start this chapter, and after an hour of typing randomly this was the result.

Also if you're interested in subscribing to my YouTube channel it's AerialSky Cosplay }