Day 2: Anxiety

The waiting was probably the worst part. The unknowing if A would wake up and be okay, or if she would never open those baby blue eyes of hers anymore. Just the thought hurt L more than he'd ever been hurt. 

He tried to pass the time. It didn't work well for him, the way he'd seen it in movies. L tried working more on the Kira case, but he couldn't manage to focus on anything no matter how hard he tried. When that failed, the raven haired boy scoured the kitchen for something sweet. In the end, he took a slice of strawberry cake, and just for effect, he scooped a few spoonfuls of whipped cream on the top. 

L carried the plate of cake to his desk, not really anything unique. The desk was old and wooden, with a drawer on the right hand side. It was made for a computer to be placed on, but all he had was a laptop for the time being. All the rest of his equipment had to be moved into the hotel room soon, but it hadn't been done yet. 

As he set the plate on the boring desk, he glanced at the door to his left. Beyond that door A was lying on the bed, hopefully recovering well and about to wake up. But it was the second day that A had been asleep, and L was getting restless. Shaking off the terrible thoughts, the boy picked up the fork he'd grabbed from the kitchen earlier, bringing it to his lips. 

It was empty, but L nibbled on the end of it anyway. He didn't seem to notice. But he wasn't that hungry anyway. His appetite had faded ever since A had reappeared. Time passed slowly, minutes feeling like hours. Every single tick that the clock made, he felt himself drawn to glance at the bedroom door. 

After the 28th time the door caught his attention, he found himself standing in front of it. What he was doing, he had no idea. His brain seemed to be on autopilot. He could feel his trembling hand reaching out to turn the doorknob. The metal was cold in his hand, even though his hands were already cold. 

"A... Are you awake yet?" L called quietly, like a little kid would. 

There was no answer. That made L all the more impatient. He couldn't take much more of this. Without even thinking twice, he pushed down on the door handle, and d