{8}

"'Cruel to be kind', that's my technique as they say, but she's as mad as a hatter, poor dearie!" Said Nurse Witless.
She shook her head then left the room, I could here her chatting to Doctor Bumby. They both entered and he came over to me.
"Worst is over, and over, and over. Forget it, Alice - forget it" he said to me softly. I lightly nodded and he looked at me right in the eyes.
"Alice before we take you back we must take you too the I.R."
"I..I...?" I barley mustered that first letter.
"Insane Room,"
"W.."
"It'll help you meet other children... Who've been in your situation,"
"R..R..?"
"Yes now let's go!"
"N...!"
"See doctor she's as mad as a hatter! Normally we can cure madness but I don't think she is, at all, curable!"
"Oh Nurse give her a chance! She's Alice! Our Alice always comes through don't you?"
"B.."
The fact I couldn't properly speak was making this situation 10 times worse!
"Yes doctor but the thing is she's been here twice before and she's only a young lass!"
"Wheel her out!"
"But...!"
"Now!"
They wheedled me down a long, long corridor to this room full of children who were insane just like me. They stood me up then left, double locking the door this time. Suddenly, I fell to the ground. The kids were... All cut and wounded, stitched up like dolls! I looked around me and they were surrounding me.
"The unstable are more than merely mad: they have 'other parts'. The Dollmaker will deprive them of what remains of their deranged souls. They need care!" Said one of the insane children.
"I know their pain. I would assist, but is sanity required for the job?"
"A limited quantity. You're not mad enough to be rejected. You're like them, of them in a way, but not them. I should say 'not us', for I'm them, but you are on your way. The way is clearly marked."
"I believe I know that way and I'd rather not travel further along it." I replied in a snap.
They began chanting some stupid spell or something then the world shook and once again in wonderland I was and there in play sight was the Dollmaker. He looks so much like my Doc. Doctor Bumby, that silly old bastard!
"Am I not the most wretched and selfish of fortune's fools? Oblivious, I live in a training ground for prostitutes! My mentor is an abuser and purveyor! I've been complicit with my sister's murderer and the killer of my family as he corrupted my mind! I sought relief from my pain and you turned me away from the truth so why'd do you want me?!" I began
"You were almost there. Almost free from what you fear. You could have been cured, you could have forgotten! You could've been here with us!"
"Abandon the memory of my family to choose to be in this hell hole? I think not!"
"They are dead, and you should be too." He snapped.
"You misbegotten abomination! Murderer! You bloodsucking parasite! The damage you've done to children, the abuse!"
"Oh Alice, I provide a service. In the great and awful metropolis, appetites of all sorts must be gratified."
"My family - my mind - the Infernal Train!"
"The train is your... invention, your defense. I merely set its schedule and itinerary. The train is coming with its shiny cars, comfy seats and wheels of stars. So hush, my little ones, have no fear. The Man in the Moon is the engineer."
"Oh you wait! I'll stop that train, if it's the last thing I do!"
"As you wish... It will be!" he said before I flashed back into reality.
"I think she's ready," I heard Bumby say before rushing in.
"Are you ready Alice?"
"Ye.."
"Your communication skills are coming back into place I see!"
I looked at him my head tilting.
Sadly, this chapter ends with me being dragged back to the orphanage, the place that made me start this troublesome journey...