Breaking Walls

Written by Lydia

Another day, another dog... I think sourly, as I drag myself along the sidewalk just outside my house. I glare at the fattened pug that bounces around in all directions as Mrs. Charley desperately tries to keep the thing on a short leash. I roll my eyes at her struggle. She had bought more dogs than anyone in the neighborhood could count. At least I stopped counting after three. Leaving the old woman with her new "playmate," I cross the street over to where the freight train usually passes by at this time of day.

Standing at the trackside, I flatten my ash-grey ears against my head, lashing my three tails impatiently. Needing a reason to smile, I shove my hand in my threadbare, leather satchel, and pull out the letter I had received in my mailbox this morning. From the handwriting alone, I could tell it was my brother who sent it. Gentling tearing it open, I begin to read.

To the prettiest catry of them all,

I am sending this letter to let you know I got my dream come true. Couldn't have done it without you! I miss you, and hope to see you one day soon. How is it on planet Earth? Write me back as soon as possible!

Hugs and Kisses,

Edward

I smile as I read, wishing so badly that I could write him back. My smile fades as my heart turns heavy. I haven't written to my brother in years... I think, and until the Government allows it, I can't leave this stupid mud ball of a planet to tell him why... oh mercy, what will he think of me? I ponder. My thoughts are broken as the train approaches. Bunches of catries are already lined up along the outside of the train as it moves on. I roll my eyes. Too many catries, not enough freight trains... I think, looking for an empty spot. Finally eyeing one near the caboose, I begin jogging, and as the empty space approaches, I break out into a sprint, jumping onto the side of the train, and quickly gripping onto the ledge poking out of the roof.

As I balance myself on the train, I begin to relax, leaning against the outer wall of the train car, watching as we pass neighborhood by neighborhood. This town is a wreck... I think as we ride by a narrow alley between two houses, where I see two men dressed in black beating a catry senseless. He looked fairly young. Poor guy... I think, he's definitely going to feel that later. I think these things, but I didn't get off the train to help him. No one did. No one could. Racism was on the rampage these days. The fact that "aliens" existed in the universe was all too new to the humans, and they were completely unprepared when millions of catries fled planet Asoar. We all thought Earth was our ticket out, but it isn't until you make it inside you realize that you've fallen for the trap. The entire planet is surrounded by an invisible brick wall, with no escape whatsoever until the Government decides what to do with you.

Snapping back into reality, I realize the freight train is getting close to my school. Straightening myself up, I get ready to jump off.

"You be safe now," I hear a voice next to me say, with a thick Texas accent. I look to the side to see an old man, a catry like myself, leaning comfortably against the outside of the train car. He had ragged, red fur, a thick, black knee-length coat, a tattered fedora, and a toothpick hanging out of his mouth. "A jump like that is dangerous, young ma'am." he continues without looking at me, chewing gently on his toothpick. I pause, unsure how to respond, finally giving him a polite nod in agreement. He snickers, looking at me from the corner of his eye. "Ya know, we wouldn't needa worry about all this if them Government goons would just let us take the bus, ya hear?" he speaks half consciously, almost like he's talking to himself. I nod once more.

"Well, it is what it is, I suppose." I say in reply. He laughs, quite harshly.

"Sure, it is what it is!" he quotes, almost mockingly. Then, leaning up close so that his face is only inches from me, his eyes interlock with mine and he speaks softly and slowly as he continues. "Lemme tell ya something, ma'am, what it is ain't what it's s'pposed to be, ya hear?" His tone is low and dark, almost like he's warning me.