00: The Ties That Bind

The plaza was half-filled with people that were coming out of the church, the other half being pigeons. The church was beautiful, old stone and stained glass. There were two big metal doors in the front with carvings of bible scenes, a beautiful creation. Right in front of the church were two kiosks, one selling hot chocolate, coffee, and little warm sandwiches that were delicious. Don Hilton, the man that made the drinks and food, was a man that chatted with each costumer in a personal level. He took his time, and each cup of coffee or hot chocolate was a work of art. The hot chocolate would have a piece of cheese and a cinnamon stick, home-made whipped cream on top with a few sprinkles of dark chocolate on top. Even though it sounded strange, it was in fact very delicious. 

   The other kiosk sold old candies, those that the older generation remember from their childhood. Don Hilton's son worked it, giving smiles to the children that stopped by to buy a toy or a frozen treat. It was as if he sold for the small children as his father sold for the older the generation; generations mixing into one at the plaza with smiles all around.

   There were a few tables in front of the kiosks, the majority of them covered by old men and old women. The old men sat in one table, dominoes in front of them and Cuban cigars between their teeth. Unlit, the cigars smelled like newly-sown fields; like rain-soaked earth; like rich, loamy soil; like a barn. Lit? Well, it was too complex for words. The scent, the scenery of the men leaning back and smoking the cigars, they reminded me too much of my father. I recalled my father sitting in the parlour, drinking a glass of whiskey while he held a cigar between his teeth, the newspaper in front of him. He would let the ash fall on a glass ash tray, then lay he cigar back between his teeth. There were times where he would let out a chuckle, old the cigar between his fingers, and lean back and tell my mother about what was happening. Sometimes, he would speak about the war and comment on how Abraham Lincoln was an idiot and should let America be how it was, how it didn't need to change. Even though I wanted to speak up, tell him that we should change, I kept my mouth shut and continued with my lessons.

   Puerto Rico was wonderful, filled with wonders that one would only imagine. The beaches were breathtaking, with mangroves and the small silver-coloured fish that swam between the beach-goers. The mountains that were hike-worthy, picture worthy, a breath of fresh air in the centre of chaos, especially the two mountains that resembled breasts so much that they were literally nicknamed The Boobs of Cayey. But, there were so many things in that small island that were just as beautiful as the beach; from the people to the tropical rainforest, to the animals and even the old rackety buildings that were painted colourful.

   "Clara, your phone's ringing," a male voice said, pulling me out of my daydream. I blinked several times and looked at the person who spoke, seeing Oliver Lee smiling at me as he pointed at my phone with a finger. Oliver Lee was a New Zealander that was backpacking around the world with his best friend, Roman Young. I met the pair at baggage claim, when Oliver broke the handle on my suitcase while trying to take a picture of himself jumping.

   I glanced down at my phone, seeing a very familiar name flash at me with their picture right underneath. "Just let it go to voicemail," I said, pushing the button on the side of the phone.

   Oliver grabbed my phone and looked at the caller, a small, playful smile on his lips. "Who's Stefan?" he asked, glancing at me. "Stefan Salvatore? Hmm, what a nice name."

   "Old friend," I said, grabbing my phone back and laying it face down on the table.

   "He's been calling an awful lot," Kunthea Rin said, laying her hands underneath her chin. "You sure he's only an old friend?"

   "He sounds more like an ex-boyfriend," Diego Acosta said, laying his arm around Kunthea's shoulders.

   Kunthea and Diego were married. They met three years ago in Krong Koah Kong, a city in Cambodia, while Diego was on the planing stages of a massive Anti-Sand Dredging Campaign. She added him on Facebook, and he accepted because she didn't look like every other Cambodian girl he had met. Soon after, she sent him a message through the chat, asking him, "I see the words Tam Chet (follow your heart) is that in your arm?"