17: No Exit

Just like any good friend would do, I stuck by Damon's side. In his revenge-ridden state of finding Dr. Wes Maxfield, he had managed to go back to his old ways and almost got Jeremy killed. I almost went along with it, but what I did was much worse. Instead of trying to help the young Gilbert, I stood in the corner and let Enzo have his fun. And then Stefan and Elena came to the rescue. The look he gave me was one filled with disappointment and disbelief, something that made my chest ache. I wanted to go up to him, kiss him, forget about the whole ordeal in which I was supposed to be angry at him for kissing Katherine. I didn't want to be angry, because that took too much from me. Then, he told Damon to never bother to return. I got angry once again, and left with Enzo and Damon on their revenge road trip.

   When we arrived at the house where Dr. Wes Maxfield's makeshift lab was, we got trapped in there by some Travelers. The Travelers were nomadic witches, in which services could be bought for the right price. My guess was that Wes had money, hence how he got their services. Their chanting caused us to fall to the floor in pain. Wes injected something into Damon at that moment. We were all confused about what the insane doctor injected him with, until he began to feed on another vampire that was trapped by chains. At that moment, Enzo and I realised that we were in trouble. 

   The strange thing was that I didn't mind turning someone just so Damon could feed. I felt no remorse, no compassion, no mercy—I just needed my friend to stay alive and not attack me. We holed up in a secluded house outside of town, where we waited for a man I just killed to wake up. I sat in the couch with my legs crossed, a hand on my temple as I watched an amused Enzo and a hungry Damon.

   "You think they fell in love milking cows?" Enzo asked as he grabbed a picture that sat on a table.

   "Probably," Damon answered. "Then she became one, so he drank himself into oblivion—she cheated with the pastor." He had blood on the side of his lips, an obvious sign that he had fed. The blood belonged to a person I had killed about eight hours before we arrived at the house.

   "Just because you lost your true love doesn't mean you have to dump on others," mused Enzo, a small smirk around his lips. 

   "There's no love in there," Damon said. "Look at that picture, it's old! The milk maid's nowhere to be found—it's just pathetic ole farmer John."

   "Manners!" Enzo smirked. "It's impolite to speak ill of our host."

   "I doubt he'll mind," Damon said, glancing at the dead body on the floor. 

   "Alright, Cranky," I said as I touched the side button of my phone so it would turn on. "It's been almost eight hours since you last fed. So, I suppose that's about right."

   Damon turned to me with furrowed brows. "Are you timing me?"

   "Well, you feed on vampires now." I stood and pointed at Enzo and I with my index finger. "If you haven't noticed, we're vampires. The only way we can be safe is to know how long you can last until you feed again."

   "Or, you can just leave," he mumbled, giving me a sarcastic smile. 

   "I"m sure neither of us abandon our friends, Damon," Enzo said as he circled towards us. "Besides, if you hadn't come with me to kill Doctor Wes, he wouldn't have stuck you with that nasty virus."

   "So..." I glanced at the English vampire with my arms crossed, a sarcastic smile on my lips. "In all, it's all Enzo's fault." I gave him a sarcastic smile, which he returned with one that was just as sarcastic.

   "No one asked you to come, Sweetheart," he said, taking a step closer to me.

   "I couldn't leave Damon with you," I said. "He's bad, but you might make him worse."