38: I'll Wed You in the Golden Summetime

It was a lie if I said that I wasn't jealous of Elena getting a second chance at a human life. I was bitter whenever I saw her, the hate in me swarming around me like a hive of hornets. There were times where I wanted to sink my teeth into her neck and drink the cure from her blood, but I stopped myself. The only reason I stopped myself wasn't because I thought about Elena's life, but because of Damon. If he were truly prepared to be human, truly wanted it, his only way was to drink from her. He was the reason why I stopped myself, why I decided to continue a miserable life as a vampire.

   I sat in the back of the car and glanced between the brothers, my eyes landing more on the oldest. As I stared, I continued to try and picture him as a human. The thing was that I couldn't. The boy I knew, the man I was going to marry—both humans—had disappeared. There was no trace of the old him left. I continued to wonder how would he survive being human, how would he go through with life without being able to compel and harm.

   "Sure, I'll be your best man, Ric," Damon mockingly said. "But first, hang out with the worst man so that my brother and best friend can kidnap me on the day of your wedding."

   Stefan looked at him with an offended look. "Hey, don't you hate weddings, anyway?"

   "I hate little-Stefan mind games even more."

   I rolled my eyes. "You're just annoyed that we didn't let you be with Elena," I said, my voice sounding more angry than I wanted.

   "I'm angry because I don't know where the hell you two are taking me," he spat, quickly glaring back at him. "So, anytime anyone want to clue me in as to where the hell we're going..."

   Stefan parked the car in front of a brown house and grinned widely while looking at his brother. "Look, here we are."

   I got out of the car and looked around. It was an old house in an old neighbourhood in some suburban town, somewhere close but far enough from Mystic Falls. I could tell by the size of the trees, how they were taller and covered more ground. Next to the house was a kid kicking a soccer ball into a makeshift net. I took a deep breath and looked back at the house, realising that it still looked new yet as if no one had lived there for quite some time.

   "Is Mr. Rogers expecting us?" Damon sarcastically asked. 

  "You know Mr. Rogers is dead, right?" Stefan retorted.

   Damon made a face. "Yeah, you two are going to join him in make-believe if you don't get to the damn point."

   Stefan stopped and pointed at the house with his hand. "So, this is a house I lived in during one of my many attempts to star over." He looked at his brother as he laid his hands on his waist. "Welcome to your suburban nightmare."

   I let out a small hum as I crossed my arms. "It looks cosy."

   Damon huffed. "You don't think I have thought this true?" He turned to his brother, a look of annoyance in his features.

   "You thought about a life with Elena," I said, taking a step between the brothers. My eyes were glued on the man with the blue eyes, the oldest. "What you haven't thought about is neighbours, or a mortgage, or—" A ball flew towards Damon, who caught it and half-glared at the kid who kicked it. I glanced at the boy and let out a sigh. "Or kids, Damon."

   "It might not be your thing," Stefan finished with a shrug of his shoulders. He gave his brother a closed-mouth smile and made his way towards the front door.

   I took a deep breath. "We're trying to make you see the good and the bad," I said, quickly glancing at Damon. "Sometimes, there's more bad than good." I gave his arm a squeeze and moved away, towards the front door.