Chapter 1~ The beginning

~The Beginning~

The past few years in my town have been peaceful. No missing people, no murders, no anything. Except, my cousin has been sick, really sick. She isn't going to make it, according to the 'professionals'. You see, she's the last family I have, because of a tragedy that happened years ago. Something...killed our whole family and now, without her...

I just don't know what to do anymore.

Entering our little cottage, I find my cousin standing at the edge of her favorite window, which holds the most beautiful view in the whole town. I let a gentle smile make it's way onto my face and I stand beside her, watching the healthy green forest as it sways like the oceans waves.

"I know," Mona whispers through the silence.

My panic sets in and I can't help but stutter, "Wha-what are you talking about?"

Mona sighs sweetly before meeting my brown eyes, "You make it really obvious, you know; You treat me like a delicate doll, as if I'll break once you let me go and gifts arrive in your hands every other day,"she rests her fragile hands on my shoulders,"There's no need for such gifts, I'm only getting worse with my sickness and I need you to be happy. I won't ever leave you."

Mona kisses my forehead then rests her chin on the top of my head as my hands wrap around her in a warm embrace.

"Whatever happens to me, don't do anything stupid. All I want you to do is find people with beautiful hearts like yours- if there's still any more out there- because...I know there is something special about you. You just need to see it too. I love you, Aimi."

"I love you too, Mona." I keep my composure but inside, my heart broke.

~x~

The following day, the two cousins were separated from each other by death and Aimi was now completely alone.

The funeral was planned to take place later that afternoon but she felt like she couldn't do it.

So instead she stayed home, strolling from room to room while listening intently to each echoing step. Reminiscing about the once vibrant house she shared with Mona. Eventually, she found herself in that very dismal room where the bed lay empty.

With no further control, she began sobbing over the bed and thinking about her cousin and what she sacrificed, "I want you here. Not dead. You didn't deserve to die."

Then, a mysterious, raspy voice speaks out from all directions with the tempting words,

"I can make that wish come true."