2 | Inevitable [Kissing is the Easy Part One Shot]

This is my one shot based on @rainbowbrook's story "Kissing is the Easy Part."  The due date was originally the 15th but she was gracious enough to give me an extension (school is killing me). This is a scene between Sandy and Ray at prom. It's not my best writing but I hope you guys like it! Thank you again to LisaCh301 for being an amazing editor.

---

 It was the last prom any of them would have, so it was only natural that the last prom king and queen would be Ray and Sandy. And for their king and queen, their final dance meant something different. For Sandy, it meant she was rid of this stupid place and Ray forever. For Ray, it meant he was losing Sandy forever. It wasn't hard to guess which one was more vocal about their feelings.

"I'm so glad that this is the last time we'll ever have to dance together during one of these stupid things," Sandy said, a small mask of relief on her face.

"Gee, thanks."

"I'll be happy to be rid of you."

"But you know, you'll never be truly be free of me. Us seeing each other is inevitable, you'll see," Ray said.

Sandy snorted. "Yeah, right. I'm getting out of here as soon as I can and your only plan is to smoke pot and throw parties."

"Is that all you think I do?"

"Do you do anything else?" she asked, raising her eyebrow.

"No, but is that all you think I'm capable of?"

"Are you capable of anything else?"

Ray furrowed his eyebrows. "Well, I don't know..." Sandy rolled her eyes.

"That's what I thought." The song ended. "Oh, thank God. Head off to do whatever you do at these things. I'm going to try to enjoy my last prom." She spun on her heel and wandered off the dance floor, leaving Ray to stand alone while everyone else flooded on as a new song came on.

They each went their separate ways for about another hour. Ray was busy making sure everyone was coming to his party that night; it was his last chance to get everyone laid. Sandy, on the other hand, was more than focused on giving everyone their last chance to admire her. It wasn't her first choice, spending her time this way, she would rather be with people who were actually worth it, but Flora was off hanging onto Sean's every word and she had no clue where everyone else was. Despite this, she was content with being admired like a true queen and everyone knew Ray was never happier when he was making sure that other people were happy (and when he had a glass of spiked punch in his hand).

If it hadn't been for what happened next, they may have never crossed paths again. But before they could get too far away from each other, Sandy was thrown for a loop. She had already seen Daniel before she was crowned and she had been happy with ignoring him. That is, she was happy until some busybody pointed him out to her. He was off in the corner like she'd expected, trying to look all cool, but now there was a girl there as well. She was there with him and completely falling all over him.

Sandy would be the first to admit that she didn't care what Daniel did anymore, she was more focused on what the hell she had been thinking when she had dated him, but she couldn't stand the fact that people were still pointing him out to her. She had no stake in his business, but she was not going to be laughed at. Did they seriously think they were special enough to laugh at her? They were ridiculous.

She was ready to tell them exactly what she thought about their little gossip-fest when she found herself being pulled away and onto the dance floor. Ray, for some reason, had decided that it would be okay for him to grab her by the elbow and keep her from defending herself. He was making the whole thing worse by doing so. Now, she just looked like a coward.

"What the fuck are you doing?" she snapped, pushing Ray's hands away when he tried to put them on the small of her back.

"Saving you," he replied smoothly as he found a way to put his hands on her waist and to get her to put her arms around his neck.

"Saving me? Do you seriously think I'm someone that needs saving?"

"No."

"I'll have you know that I didn't need saving."

"Yes, you did."

"I can defend my own dating choices," she said, head up high.

"I wasn't saving you from them gossiping about you. I saved you from causing a scene and making everyone hate you."

"Yeah, right." She rolled her eyes. "Like they could ever hate me."

"I think they could," he said, boring her eyes into hers.

She faltered a bit before responding harshly. "W-Whatever. I'm guessing you're expecting me to thank you now."

"No thanks necessary. After all, you helped me prove my point."

"What point?"

"That us being together is inevitable," he said, smirking slightly.

"I do remember you trying to make a point earlier," she said. "But I'm pretty sure you said that us seeing each other is inevitable, not us being together."

"Is there a difference?"

Ray had only meant all of this talk of inevitability in good fun, but apparently it had made some kind of impact on Sandy. They stood in silence for a few minutes. Sandy had been giving him a weird look the whole time, before finally stepping away from him.

"Let's go," she said briefly and walked away. He had no choice but to follow her.

She led him to a place where, if they had been in Pretty Little Liars, it was secluded enough for someone to kill them (or for her to kill him). Luckily (and Ray did think he was pretty lucky that she didn't kill him, with Sandy it was always a 50/50 shot), that wasn't why Sandy had led him there. She was kissing him before he could even ask what was going on. And there was no way in hell he was going to stop her from continuing to kiss him.

Sadly, she was still the one to pull away first. Not that he didn't expect that, they were both the kind of people to pull away first, whether it was kissing or a simple conversation. And between the two of them, Sandy was that person. He prepared himself for her yelling at him and blaming him for everything (she didn't always make sense), but she didn't. She just looked at him in the same odd way as she had on the dance floor.

"What?" he finally asked.

"You can't tell anyone about this."

"All right."

"I'm serious, Ray," she said without a hint of humour on her face. "You can't tell anyone. They'll have a field day with all of this."

"I know that. Don't worry about it, I won't tell anyone," he reassured her.

"Good," she said, before leaning in again.

They kissed for a few more minutes until Sandy decided to pull away again, causing Ray to roll his eyes.

"You're sure that you won't tell anyone?" she asked.

"I'm sure. I don't want to screw this up."

"What?"

"I've spent so much time trying to do anything or be anything with you and even if this is all we'll ever have, I'm not going to ruin any chance we might have for something more by telling anyone. I'll do whatever you want me to do," he said.

"Oh."

"Yep." They fell into awkward silence. Ray was just about to backtrack and basically do anything he could to stop feeling like an idiot when Sandy finally broke the silence.

"Do you have to be so sappy?" she said with a teasing smile. "You're ruining it."