Chapter 9: The Horde

We arrived at the pharmacy minutes later. We set some blankets down and slowly layed Lana on them. She layed there quietly, but I knew she was in pain. "Lets look around for some cream that might help her." Matt said. Me and Nyx nodded. "You should stay here with Lana, Mark. She needs to be protected, you know." I nod in agreement. They leave the small room we're set up in. I sit down next to Lana. For the first minute was silence. For a second I thought that maybe we might be safe. Of course we aren't. I thought. Not only are we stuck in this pharmacy until Lana gets better, but the horde is just hours behind. "Hey," Lana said, breaking both the silence and my thoughts. "Thanks for saving me back there. Me dying of a sprained ankle in the apocolipse, now that's embarrassing." I laughed. At least she still jokes when the world as we know it is dead. "Any average jerk would have just left me there to die," she continued. "But you actually risked your life in order to save somebody you barely know, so thank you." "I, I just did what I thought was right." I said. "I just couldn't live or sleep knowing that I could've saved you, or your friends."  "I'm glad there are people like you left, Mark. People have given up hope and turned into monsters. I'm glad you're not one of them." She's right. Stan and Carter both turned against me, even though we're both humans. If everyone is like that now, I don't know how we'll last. Nyx and Matt walk in minutes later. Matt then applies the cream. "You'll be able to walk in a couple of hours, and be fully healed by tomorrow." Matt explained. "Thanks," Lana responded. Loud footsteps came from outside. We looked past the blinds at the window, and saw hundreds of zombies just outside it. "The horde," Nyx whispered, "It's here."
We cramped ourselves at the corner behind the counter. We didn't make a single sound, because if we did, we will all be dead. I sat there, the only noise heard was my and the rest's  heartbeat. We waited a long time, about an hour or so, until we heard a noise, that didn't come from the undead. CRRK, "Listen here, we know you're in there Nyx, don't try to hide!" Nyx's face turned to dread. Whoever this person is, he's using a megaphone. He must be an idiot. The dead will make him their meal. "I wonder if you have friends with ya, because if you do, they'll die too," the man continued. I stood up quickly and looked for a way to the roof. Nyx and Matt followed closely after. There was a staircase at the back of the pharmacy that led to the roof. Lana no longer needed help walking, so we all climbed up one at a time. I was the first one up, and right before I got on my feet, a bullet whizzed by me. I dove to floor, and told the others to do the same. "That was a new face. Now tell me, Mark. Who would you rather see die?" the man began. Wait, how does he know my name? "Nyx's group, or, Mia's group?" Oh no, they have them. "Yeah, they told me everything, how's that gun shot doing?" The rest listen on with confusion, while I listen on with dispair. I get a better look, and see that the man is standing atop a large 18-wheeler truck. "Now if you don't want my boys that are behind you to kill you, I would stay put." As soon as he said that, I was hit in the back of the head with the butt of a gun.
I then blacked out.