Chapter 1

Link sat with his back to the gasha tree in the castle courtyard. He let out a small sigh as he patted the dust from his dirty cap, the result of training with Impa. His training was the only thing he could do to keep his mind away from the current events concerning Princess Zelda. He wished she wouldn't keep all her feelings to herself, that she would allow him carry some or all of her burdens if possible. But, even when the two of them were small, she kept her sorrows to herself. The only way he ever knew she was hurting or troubled was when her wise eyes grew distant and her speech became even softer than it normally was. Whenever he looked inquiringly at her, she would turn away and say nothing.

Of course this frustrated him but he was never angry at the one he served. He always practiced meekness, knowing there would be a better time and place to let irate behavior get the better of him, and that was the battle field, not his beloved lady's presence. Also, how could he be mad at Zelda? No matter what task, he would serve her faithfully, trusting his welfare to her reliable hands. Because he loved her with all his pure heart.

"Link!" Called a familiar voice. It was Nijel, a fellow training to become a Hylian knight. Although he was a year older than Link, he had not yet earned the title, but was not jealous and was a good friend to Link in his way. "You are needed outside the gates! A monster has appeared! Hurry!" Link leapt to his feet, no longer feeling the presence of his weariness. Nijel helped him struggle into his chain mail and they ran together to the gates.

"There it is!" Nijel said, though it was obvious Link could see it for himself. It stood about eight feet tall and had the appearance of a lizard. It took a stance on its hind legs as it sized up the defense, being a ring of knights who had been closer at the call. Link took his place among them, while Nijel withdrew, the rules of a squire being not to fight unless help was needed. It was strange that a monster of this size had come so close to the castle for no apparent reason. It had not tried to break in, but it stood a threat to the traveling merchants and needed to be eliminated before any harm came to passersby. The lizard lunged forward, eyes gleaming intently. The defense moved in response according to formation. Link and a few other men drew closer behind the monster, while the party in front retreated back, leaving the lizard having pounced on nothing. Before the monster could recover from the lunge, Link leapt at the back of the lizard, driving his sword straight in front of him, aimed for between the shoulder blades. His sword hit, but it didn't pierce the scales, leaving the nerves in Link's arms on fire with pain. He backed off to recover, while the other men set to slashing at the invincible scales. Link quickly sprinted to face the lizard and noticed that the enemy took special care to protect its underside from the relentless blows. It noticed Link and its eyes flashed with sudden hunger that made Link's blood run cold. A fellow took advantage of this distraction to attack the monster's neck, but foolishly left his flank unattended. The lizard swept out a claw toward the attacker and Link rushed in with a sword stroke, slicing off the limb before it could do any damage. The monster reeled back and hissed with pain, leaving its belly exposed. Link swung his sword in an upward arc, immediately drenching himself in the monster's hot blood. It poured into his eyes, and he tried to rub it out but it burned all the more. Someone grabbed his arm and he stumbled blindly after them. The monster was shrieking in pain as Link was lead away to safety.

~~~
The dying cries of the monster triggered something in Link, a distant memory. In his mind he could hear the dying cries of his people,and his mother's among them. He remembered calling for her, running blindly through the swirling ash and red hot sparks, until his voice was choked out of him. It had felt like a hand squeezing his throat until Link felt he would die, and suddenly being torn away, but something had been taken with it. When he had tried to call again, no sound came. Without his own voice the sounds around him became so much louder and all the more terrifying. All he could do was curl up on the ground and wait to be found, by friend or foe. Many times the hooves of horses and the boots of men would come very near, but no one would see him, and he feared he would be trampled if he tried to get any closer. So he waited, hands clasped over his ears, and every moment he expected his life would end.
~~~