Chapter 1

"Plane Crash killed 27 people 2 miles west of Farnham town centre. 12 injured and many devastated." The news reporter rushed his words out urgently as the breaking news came in. The bodies of the deceased were still being identified and ambulances were racing back and forth between the crash site and the local hospital. People who were passing by the crash site stopped to help the remaining passengers get back on their feet.

"Excuse me, excuse me, are you okay? Are you hurt?" A man tapped an unconscious boy lightly on the shoulder. The boy opened his eyes. He could see fires everywhere and people running about sobbing and screaming. There was a bearded man knelt down in front of him.

"I am not hurt." The boy replied.

"Good, I'm glad you're okay. What's your name?" The man asked.

"Matthew. Who are you?" The boy looked intently at the ginger bush growing on the man's face that shook when he spoke.

"I'm Darren, I saw the plane crash. Who were you flying with? Are your parents around?" Darren stretched his hand out to help Matthew up onto his feet.

"I am alone." Matthew said monotonously, moving his gaze from the beard to the hand. He assessed the situation and took the man's hand, which helped him into a standing position. He looked around at his surroundings briefly before looking back at the man.

"You were flying alone? How old are you?"

"I do not know how old I am." Matthew said, tilting his head slightly to the left.

"What do you remember?"

"My name is Matthew."

"Anything else?"

"I am afraid I do not remember anything else."

That was when a police officer arrived at the scene and approached Matthew and Darren. Darren explained Matthew's memory predicament.

"Do you know where the plane was flying from Matthew?" The police officer asked him. Matthew's first impressions of this police officer were that he did not possess a beard and he carried an accent that struck Matthew to be 'northern'.

"I do not." Matthew said.

"Where are your parents?" Darren asked, reaching his hand into his beard to scratch his chin.

"I do not have parents." Matthew said, and the police officer made a note in his notepad.

Boy at crash site claims to have no parents, severe memory loss.

Very formal way of talking.

Apparent age: 12

"Do you want to come with me Matthew? We can keep you safe." The police officer said.

"Is Darren coming?" Matthew said, with unblinking eyes. This struck the two male adults to be uncanny, but they did not know what made them feel like something was not quite right about this boy's appearance. The police man glanced at Darren and Darren shrugged and nodded in return.

Then a sound came through a walkie talkie on the police officer's shoulder.

"Officer Derek Dawson, please return to the station."

"Officer Derek Dawson, nice to meet you." Matthew said. Derek smiled and led Darren and Matthew to the station.