Chapter 10

Matthew was sitting alone in his bedroom looking out the window. A few weeks after going out to Farnham Park with Hikari, Dr Stone had deemed it safe for Matthew to return to the Dawson residence with frequent visits to the hospital or her office to see her. He hadn't seen Dr McColl in a while and he was getting increasingly bored of Dr Stone's perpetual monotone. He had asked Dr Stone about it but she had just said that it was herself dealing with him now. "Dealing" made it seem like he was a burden so he didn't feel like questioning her any further. There had to be at least one adult in the house at any one time so that meant he wasn't free to talk to Leinad very much. But on this dull morning Derek was making him lunch in the kitchen and he knew that the sound from his room didn't travel that far.

"Leinad?" He called, and the voice returned.

"How can I be of service to you Matthew?" Leinad said.

"What is the point in love?" Matthew asked, his mind going straight to Hikari.

"I don't know Matthew, but I guess now you have something to find out! I'm afraid I don't know anything about human behaviour to help you with that I'm afraid."

"Okay, do you know who I was before the crash?" Matthew asked instead, skipping the question about the marks on Hikari's arms. Leinad stroked the top of his head in thought, out of sight so that Matthew wouldn't see him.

"Yes, but I'm not going to tell you!" Leinad laughed.

"Why not?" Matthew said.

"Because you're not ready to know yet!"

Matthew was later diagnosed with a psychotic illness but it was not deemed necessary to send him to a psychiatric ward.

"Does that mean I'm crazy?" He asked the air around him that afternoon, hoping that Dr McColl's voice would come down to him with the answer he wanted to hear. But it was Leinad who responded, and Matthew wasn't sure that he was to be trusted.

"You are not crazy; we're just pretending you are. Just wait a while, we need to sort some things out and then everything will become clear." Leinad had chosen his words carefully.

"Who is "we"? Does it have anything to do with Evelyn?" At the mention of the word Evelyn, Daniel appeared in is room. Matthew jumped; something that he had drawn was now standing directly in front of him.

"How do you know Evelyn?" Daniel cornered Matthew against the window.

"Hikari mentioned it to me." Matthew said.

"Don't talk about Evelyn again." He warned.

"No, I want to know who she is. If Evelyn is behind everything that is going on with me, then I have a right to know." Matthew said, unintentionally raising his voice. He flinched as he heard shuffling downstairs. The sound of someone coming up the stairs did not follow, so Matthew blew a sigh of relief.

"I'll push you out of the window!" Daniel's beard started to shake in anger. Matthew screamed loudly, and closed his eyes.

"You're a liar." He told Daniel.

"You're just an experiment; you don't need to be here. It would be better if you died." Daniel scowled. The window suddenly opened wide and Matthew gasped, and Daniel leaned even closer to him so that his head was leaning out the window. Derek burst in at that moment as if directed by a film director, and pulled Matthew away from the window. Matthew went flying straight through Daniel and he squealed, Daniel disappeared and reappeared next to Derek.