Chapter 10 - Superheroes are better than Sidekicks

"Beneath this mask there is an idea. And ideas are bulletproof."

~ V for Vendetta

I entered the school with an invisible mask on my face. My expressions betrayed no emotions, just a stone cold stare looking forward. Everyone knew who Captain Impossible really had been, and by now the rumors that I worked for him must've spread.

"Mr. Storm," Mrs. Solace sneered, "what's your excuse for being late today?"

I sighed and hiked my backpack higher on my back. "Look, I'm sure even you watch the news, Mrs. Solace. In case you haven't noticed, I haven't had the best couple of days. My boss turned out to be a world class super hero and now he's dead. Not to mention that I've been contacted by so many people for interviews on who the 'real' Captain Impossible was. So, if you don't mind, I would like to get to class and get some normality back into my life."

Mrs. Solace stood in shock, so I shouldered past her to pre-calculus, which I was already a couple of minutes late to thanks to the early morning press conference. Of course, my presence did not go unnoticed.

"Mr. Storm, so glad you could join us today." The teacher drawled.

The entire class looked my way at once. I sighed and took my seat next to Ian, who thankfully didn't turn to me with questions until the majority of the class turned back to the lesson.

"Your boss was Captain Impossible!" Ian whispered in excitement, loud enough to cause a few more students to turn their heads.

"No! Really? I haven't noticed with all the news coverage and stuff lately." I replied sarcastically.

"So, did you know it was him?" he asked conspiratorially.

"What?"

"Like, did you ever expect it? I mean – come on. Your boss for how many years disappears at odd times, right as a super hero is saving the city? You had to have noticed at one point."

I gave him a droll stare. "Dude, if I had known, don't you think I would've told you? You're my best friend, why would I keep that from you?"

It was a harsh card to play considering that I had known and I didn't tell him. In fact, I was keeping the very secret that I was White Lightning from him at this very moment. It was another reason why I didn't want my identity to go public. I was afraid that I would become a social pariah in life. No one wanted to approach the big bad super, and my friends would feel betrayed that I never told them. Not to mention how my mother would react.

He nodded, "You're right, dude. But, still. How cool is it that you knew Captain Impossible when he wasn't, you know, Captain Impossible?"

I shrugged and tried to focus on the notes. The card I'd played earlier was supposed to end the conversation, not intrigue Ian even more. I already felt bad enough as it was lying to everyone I knew and trying to keep the grief from Daniel's death show too much.

"You know, if you knew Captain Impossible, maybe you knew White Lightning too. Wouldn't that be so cool?"

"Yeah, dude, totally."

Ian was getting excited now. "What if he was a student, like those supers in Empire City were? You know Marvel was in High School when he first became a sidekick and a superhero. He could be in this very school, this very room."

I coughed nervously. "Mhmm."

"Wow," Ian sat back in his seat to take it all in, "I'm going to have to think about that now. Who is the real White Lightning?" He looked to me with a knowing smirk on his face, "I'll have the first suspect by morning tomorrow."