Chapter 21 - Damsel in Distress

"'You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good here.'

''Greater good?' I am your wife! I'm the greatest *good* you are ever going to get!"

~Lucius Best (Frozone) and Mrs. Best

:Elise:

You know, being kidnapped by a super villain was in fact not the worst thing to ever happen to me.

You're probably thinking, 'Oh, she's just trying to be brave in the face of sudden death,' but I'm not. This supervillain didn't scare me one bit.

(Alright, maybe a tiny bit)

I hated bullies and people who used their power to push others down. If I was a superhero, I'd be very motivated at kicking the butts of every villain around. Bullies were still bullies, no matter how much spandex they wore.

I had just gotten home from school when the villain burst into my room through the window. I was mostly too flabbergasted to react at first. I mean – a super bursting into your room and breaking your window was shocking enough, but the fear of why she was there was even worse. Had she discovered my secret?

But, no. Andromeda (a super villain who'd only been seen once in the public eye) said that she needed me for leverage against White Lightning. Why me out of all the other girls in this city? I had no idea.

"I'm bored!" I yelled out at Andromeda, who was currently pacing the floor impatiently.

"I don't care!" she jabbed back.

I groaned purposely annoyingly loud. "I wouldn't have been kidnapped by a super if I'd known it'd be this boring."

"You had no choice in the matter!" Andromeda yelled back.

I scoffed, "Well, if you were going to kidnap a girl and use her as bait, couldn't you have entertained her? I mean, unless White Lightning shows up, we'll be stuck doing nothing for hours."

"White Lightning will come." She assured, pacing some more.

"Yes, of course he will." I mocked under my breath.

(Maybe I could annoy Andromeda into letting me go.)

I fidgeted with the ropes that were holding my arms back and around a pole. The ropes weren't just rope, though. Andromeda assured me that they had Merlonium metal woven into them (the only weakness all supers had) just in case. I had no idea why she thought I was a super, or possibly one. Maybe they were just to hurt White Lightning when he went to untie me. All I knew was that they were tight, and my wrists were red from the rubbing.

"Why do you even think he's coming?" I asked for the billionth time.

She sighed, flipping her purple hair (possibly a wig) over her shoulder. "I know that he's saved you twice now, and he's even visited you at your home. You're special to him."

"Yes, because he's just so stricken with me, Andromeda." I deadpanned for the billionth time.

Andromeda must've had it with my snarky comments because she roughly turned around, walking up to me until we were inches across from each other. "Stop it with the denying, Elise. I happen to know his real identity, girl, and you're special to him even when he takes off the mask. He will come for you."

Andromeda stalked away to keep up her pacing again, but this time I had no snarky comment prepared. I knew White Lightning. I knew the man underneath the mask.