Chapter 13 - Slutty Halloween costumes

"Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn't mean they can't be saved."

~Charles Xavier (Professor X)

The weeks went by faster than I expected. Soon it was Halloween, which meant the annual Halloween Party at Mary's house.

Now, since Ian and Mary's mom was Secretary of State, we shouldn't have had the party at their house at all. Imagine the news articles about the kids of our nation's leaders running a wild, rampant party.

Yeah, not good publicity.

So, they always held it at their 'summer' home. I say that because they never actually use it during the summer. They are always vacationing one place or another during the summer, so it normally just sits in the DC suburb empty. Ian took this as an opportunity to hold a gigantic party, whilst Mary organized it and made sure everyone stayed safe.

So, every Halloween, almost all of the nation's most powerful children were in one place at one time, not a good idea. For one thing, it would be a great opportunity for terrorists and renegades with vendettas against the government to attack enough children of the nation's leaders to make an impact. They could even hold everyone for a huge ransom, though at a higher risk.

So most of the students had to sneak out. They would enlist the help of some of the more intelligent students to outsmart their parents' security systems so they can escape without getting in trouble, and without their parents finding out.

Even Heather showed up every year, though the house had to be swept for bugs and dangerous objects beforehand. Her usual two secret service agents would be walking around the party as well.

I could usually count on Daniel to stop any crime that happened on Halloween nights while I went out to the party, but now that he was gone, I would have that responsibility all to myself. I knew that the police were competent enough, but, come on, it wasn't like they could fight supers.

Halloween was also a hard time to tell who the real villains were. Everyone was wearing a mask and everyone was doing something mischievous.

In the end, I just decided that I would only come out if I got a call about a real super villain doing something. Otherwise, the police could deal with it. They had managed supers before after all.

"Olly!" Mary yelled, catching up to me in the hallway.

"Hey," I greeted.

"You're going to the party, right?" she asked accusingly.

"Of course." I said tentatively.

She smiled, "Great! What are you going to be this year?"

I stifled a smirk.

"The same thing I was last year."

Mary did exactly what I thought she would. She sighed as loud as humanely possible and glared at me annoyingly, obviously mad. "Oh, come on. Olly! Can't you just be original for once in your life? You're always the same thing! Can't you change it up, just for one year?"

I laughed and shook my head, placing my arm around her shoulder with a huge laughable sigh as we walked to AP Government. "Ahh, but that's why you love me, Mary. I'm annoyingly predictable."

She huffed as we walked in, "You're hopeless," before walking away to her seat.

Elise was already in her seat and Ian, this being the one of the only classes we didn't share, was in AP Economics instead.