eight » h a l l o w e e n

"We're all just kids who grew up way too fast. Yeah the good die young but the great will always last." — Unknown.

»»»

Octavia

       "Fucking traffic! What the fuck?! Can't we go somewhere else?!" Demi yells from the passenger seat, looking over at Carlos who is driving. I'm squished between Wilmer and Santos in the back seat, my hands cuffed together, but thankfully I'm not blindfolded or gaged.

       "We don't have anywhere to go, it's the fastest way to the airport, Demi. And it does not help that it's Halloween too." Wilmer says from beside me, leaning forward in his seat as he looks at the two of them.

       "There's probably an accident up front. How long have we been here?" Santos says, I was surprised he knew English, actually they all did. But since they want to talk about more things that they didn't want me to hear, they'll immediately switch to Spanish and leave me here listening to them talk about God knows what.

       "One hour. Maybe more if we don't move." Carlos says, and slams his hand down on the horn, blaring it at the car in front of us. More cars follow him and start to honk their horns. Demi sighs, and leans her head against the window.

       The windows are tinted black, so I can see outside, but nobody can see inside. It won't help if I want to scream at someone to get their attention and help me.

       Raising an eyebrow, I say, "So, who wants to play I Spy?" I suggest. I'm bored, you can't blame me.

       Demi snorts from the passenger seat, while Wilmer glances at me and shakes his head. I shrug, it was worth the shot.

       After a few moments of silence, Demi speaks up and leans her head away from the window. "Fine, I Spy something green."

       I grin and sit up more in my seat. "Okay, uh, that tree?" I motion to my head to the tree on the right side of the highway.

"Nope."

"That car?" Carlos motions to the car a few spaces in front of us.

"No." Demi shakes her head.

"How about that guy with the green shirt?" Santos says, pointing to his right.

"Yeah, that was it." Demi chuckles softly, and leans back in her seat.

"I Spy a man with a gun." Wilmer says, looking over to his left as his hands goes to the gun at his waist.

My eyes widen as everybody sit up and looks over to where Wilmer was looking at. "He's not alone either." Demi says, turning her head and looking around.

"Fuck, we're surrounded." Carlos says, and they all reach for their guns as the men get out of their cars and point their guns at our car. I scream as they open fire, and I duck as Demi and Carlos open their doors and they step out, guns in hands.

"Stay here Octavia!" Wilmer shouts at me over the sound of bullets piercing glass and metal. I can hear people screaming, too. He opens his door and I watch as he gets out, leaving the door open and he raises his gun and shoots a man in the chest before ducking behind a car to safety. Santos leaves my side also, grabbing a shotgun from the back and blasting a man away from the car. I push myself against the leather seats, keeping myself down since there are bullets flying everywhere. Glasses shatters and I can feel them pricking my skin as I cover my head with my arms.

       I raise my head a little, and watch as Demi grabs a man's throat and she slams him into a car's front windshield, shattering the glass beneath it. I get on my knees, knowing this was my opportunity to escape since they were all busy and won't notice me running for my damn life. Jumping onto my feet, I look both ways, only to see Wilmer a few cars up, shooting someone in front of him, his back to me. Looking to my left, I see there was no one there, only people cowering in their cars in fear. Sucking in a breath, I sprint across the street, ducking and covering beside cars as bullets fly over my head, narrowly missing me. I can hear Demi and the men shouting in Spanish at each other.