three

The next day, Maya walked in to school with the same huge smile plastered on her face as the day before. But she wasn't only smiling because Josh told her he loved her. It was also because Riley liked Lucas. Even though she had already figured it out, now it was for sure. She knew they would end up together. She just knew.

•••

Lucas walked--more like ran--in to history. He was so close to being late. The bell started ringing as soon as his front foot stepped across the threshold.
"I made it!" He called and shot his hands up into the air.
"Lucas," Mr. Matthews chirped, "you are usually one of the first students in class. What happened?"

"I got held up." He responded. "It's no big deal. "

"Alright. So class, today we're learning about the Civil War. Can anyone tell me what happened?'

"America fought Mexico." Maya piped up.

"The south fought the north." Riley confirmed.

"Why?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"The north wanted African-Americans to have rights." Farkle explained, "The south didn't."

"Very good. Even you Maya." Mr. Matthews complimented.

"Really?" she asked.

"Yes, you had the right concept. The north versus the south."

"Nice!" she muttered under her breath.

The students worked on an assignment for the rest of class. The rest of the day went by quickly.

On the way home, no one talked. Not on the subway, not in the station, not even when they walked of different ways. They just waved goodbye.

Riley walked home by herself, thinking about what had just happened. It was weird. It wasn't like them. It made her feel like they were growing apart, and there was nothing she could do about it.

•••

Farkle stopped at Lucas' house before dinner. "Hey. I know something's up between you and Riley and I think I know what it is."

"What," Lucas remarked sarcastically, "what is it."

"You like her. And she likes you too."

"You think so?" Lucas smiled.

"I do" Farkle responded.

"I think I have a phone call to make."

Farkle cheered.

He dialed Riley's number as fast as he could. To his suprise, she answered immediately.

"Hey Lucas, what's up?"

"Um hey riles, I-I have s-something to ask y-you."

"What is it?" Riley asked. "And why are you stuttering?"

"Oh it's nothing." He scratched the back of his neck on nervousness. "I was just wondering if you wanted to go out sometime?"

"You mean, like a date?"

"Well, yeah."

"I-I would love to."

"Perfect. Friday?"

"Sounds great."

"Bye."

"Bye."