Chapter 28

Chapter 28:

We stepped inside the mansion’s front door and I gasped as hundreds of eyes turned our way. Though there were quite a few good-looking guys there, not every single one of them was. No in this crowd there was definitely some uglies. Some very large uglies who looked like they were made for bashing heads.

“Now,” Caine said.

With that one word, the army rushed past us and headed out the door.

“What are you doing?” I screamed as I felt that odd pressure that had been stopping everyone from moving, drift away.

Caine laughed sadistically as he stared down at me. “You didn’t expect me to let everyone go, did you?” He shook his head and gripped my arm tightly, dragging me towards a spiral staircase. “Our deal was that I would let your sister and your brother go. That’s it.”

Something hot was boiling inside of my chest as I blindly climbed the stairs behind him. “Fine,” I said, wrenching my hand from his grasp and concentrated on the battle I could sense outside. I sent out a huge wave of energy, grabbing form my burning centre and releasing it with only one thought, paralysis.

My attack hit its mark and I could sense a quarter of Caine’s army as they came to a sudden stop and fell to the ground, unconscious and unmoving.

I turned back towards him, swaying from the sudden dizziness I was feeling. Caine just smirked down at me from his position a couple steps up as I gripped the banister.

“That was impressive, Cassandra.” He reached his hand out and took hold of my arm once again. I struggled to stay upright as he tugged me along behind him. My eyelids were feeling heavy and my core was burning way less brightly at the moment. I only hoped that it had helped.

Please be okay, James, I thought as Caine propelled me into a large room. It looked like a dining room with a huge table right in the centre and a giant chandelier hanging from the vaulted ceiling. The place was crumbling and scarred but you could tell that it had once been magnificent.

“Are we having a dinner party?” I said weakly, leaning against a huge column just inside the doorway.

He ignored me and made his way further into the room. There were a few other people there, none of which I recognized but I could feel their immense power from where I stood.

Suddenly another door opened and Harper walked in. “Harper!” I cried, adrenaline pumping strength into my weak limbs. “Are you okay?” I asked as I made my way towards him.

He looked at me briefly and something like guilt flashed in his eyes before it was replaced by careful blankness. “Harper?” I said, advancing more slowly now as his attention was focused on Caine.

“You wanted to see me?” Harper asked.

“Yes,” Caine said, moving to put his arm around my brother. “Say hello to our new ally. This is Cassandra but I think you already knew that. Cassandra,” Caine’s black eyes landed on me, “this is Harper. Your brother and my loyal employee for, how long has it been?” He looked upward and tapped his chin in thought. “Oh yes, four years now, isn’t that right, Harper?”

“Yes,” Harper replied flatly, and I stood stock still, shocked.

“What the hell is he talking about, Harper?” My voice sounded breathless.

His eyes connected with mine. “I work for him, Cassandra.” He sent me a cool smile. “You didn’t think I would ever really ally myself with the losing side in this war did you?”