Chapter 18

Theo
My heart shudders in my chest. Shailene squeezes my hand so hard my fingers turn blue. I don't mind.
"Is he ok?" Shai asks. She's so scared. Lori sits down on the bed and sighs.
"During the surgery, they found something near his kidneys. Who ever had done the surgery when Ruth-" Lori stops. Composes herself. Starts again."-they didn't see that one of the stitches were not secure. And eventually, it came loose. His kidneys have been bleeding for months." She starts to sob.
"I should have seen it." Shai starts to cry as well.
"Shailene, you don't have X-Ray vision, there's no way you could have seen this. Or prevented it." I say, gently. Even though tears pool in my eyes as well. She gives me a small smile. Very small.
"Is he going to be alright?" Shailene asks.
Lori takes a deep breath and rakes a hand through her short hair.
"They don't know."
My breath catches in my throat. They don't know.
"How could they not know?" I say, angry.
"Theo, there's nothing they can do." Shai try's to reason.
"They're doctors. They're supposed to know. That's there job, for heavens sake!" I look at Shai, the definition of calm.
"How can you not be upset? How can you just sit here and accept that maybe your father won't be ok?" The sting of my words show on her face. I'm too riled up to apologize.
"I'm a firm believer everything happens for a reason." She looks between Lori and I.
"I'm tired. I'd like to sleep. Wake me if they have any news." She takes her hand from mine and rolls over.
I sigh. "I'll be on the couch." I know she's pouting, so I leave her be.
"Actually, Theo. Could I talk to you for a minute? It'll be quick." Lori says.
I look at Shai. She seems fine. "Ok." I follow Lori out into the hall and close the door behind us. "What's up?" I lean my shoulder against the wall.
"Ok, so, listen. You know, that I trust you. And you also know, Shailene is my baby. So, if you do anything to hurt her, I swear I will make you regret it." Lori has her hands on her hips but it's quite difficult to take her seriously when I know she adores me.
"Lori, you know, Shailene has me wrapped around her little finger. I couldn't hurt her if I wanted to, which I never would." A smile escapes my lips.
"I'm glad we agree." She smiles too.
"Do you wanna go check on Loni?" I ask, as Lori looks around.
"Would you mind?" She asks.
"Of course not, bring back good news." I turn her around and give her a little push.
When she disappears around a corner, I look at Shai's door and gulp in air.
"I fucked up so bad." I mutter. I push open the door.
"Shailene? Are you asleep?" I creep up to the bed.
"No." She says flatly.
"Ok, about what I said before-"
"It's fine, Theodore." Her tone suggests boredom.
I take a seat beside her bed. "No it's not. I had no right to say that and I was an ass and I'm sorry. He's your dad, you can feel whatever you want. And I shouldn't get angry over it." I hold my breath as I wait for her reply. She rolls over to look at me.
"I don't mind. You care about him too. We just deal with things in different ways. It's ok." She gives me a smile that makes my heart do flips. I take her hand and kiss it.
"I love you." I say, because I can't think of anything else.
"I love you, too." Together, we fall asleep.

(A/N) honestly. what is with the sappy shit. this is so weird. I'm not used to it. but don't worry, they'll have a fight soon. :):):):):))::):):):):):):)