Chapter 6

That night, Harry woke over heated and shivering. He looked around through blurred vision, trying to get his barring. He slowly remembered where he was, causing him to look around for Niall. He was too far away, one of them having rolled away in their sleep. He felt hot tears rush down his cheeks at the burning pain from his back. He tried to form Niall’s name to call out to him, only managing soft whimpers, but that was enough to wake Niall up, to check on Harry.

Niall rolled over, eyes immediately filling to the brim with concern. “Baby? What’s wrong?”

Harry clenched his eyes shut trying to ignore the burning, trying to block out the pain.

“Haz.. Haz tell me what’s happening? Is it your back?”

He nodded a shiver ripping itself through his body. Niall slid over next to Harry putting his hand on his face. He drew it back though when he felt how hot the flesh was.

“Oh god Harry..”

Niall knew that the infection was getting worse, his body overheated under the stress of it and that it could get dangerous soon. Niall was wide awake as soon as he saw the pain across Harry’s face. He had to get them help.

“It’s ok baby. It’s ok, shh.” Niall whipped some of the tears away with his thumbs placing his cool fingers on Harry’s face and neck, trying to cool him down a bit.

“N-Ni...”

“I know, I know baby. Come on now, we have to get you help. Can you walk? I’ll help you all the way.”

Harry just whimpered, wrapping his arms around Niall’s neck as he helped him up.

“C’mon sweetheart..”

“W-where are we gonna go?” Harry’s eyes were squeezed shut, teeth barred with the pain.

“I don’t know.. Hopefully to civilization. Listen, if you need to stop just tell me ok love?”

Harry nodded, leaning on Niall, his body burning.

They must have walked for hours and hours, and Harry was only getting worse, the had to stop every five minutes. He kept stumbling, his head lolling with tiredness. They could barely see, the trees blocking out the moon, but Niall decided the sooner the better.

Harry’s back was torturing him. It was like his own body was torturing his brain. He kept almost falling, almost falling, almost falling, until finally he slipped, his legs flying out in front of him. It all seemed to happen in slow motion. He was sent backwards, his infected skin scraping against the rough pine needles, his head cracking against a rock. He let out a strangled sound, feeling wet sticky liquid ooze out from somewhere, and pain, splitting his vision in two.