Chapter 11: Compromise

Aquitaine, France, La forêt de Coeur noir et vert de la Terre: Le Château de la bête.

March 1st, 1986.

The wait was killing him. He wanted to know how she would react to this whole thing. It would undoubtedly be awkward to start off with as they would be more dressed up then they've ever been and he was sure it would feel like they were courting to her. He was trying to court her with this, but he didn't want her to know, and his mind was going haywire from the constant flow of contradicting thoughts that seemed to be fighting each other.

"But shes a smart girl she will figure it out, surely!" the cautious side that had been telling him he was wrong in all of this said.

"Oh no, she has been oblivious up until now that our reading dates have been just that; dates. Maybe she can keep her naivety throughout dinner as well?" the silence he hear din his head was paired with an image of incredulity displayed across Lumiere's face.

"If she knows then she is more likely to become ours though. If she knows she could end up loving us in return." The last thought stopped him in his tracks. Did he love her? He couldn't, could he? He knew the terms of his enchantment of course, but did he in fact love her? The same face he saw moments ago came back to his mind along with a few others. Belle, walking through the hallways behind him as he lead her to the room she would stay in, head held high with silent tears streaking her dirtied face. Belle, treating him respectfully even though he acted as he looked; a beast. Belle, at the mercy of the wolves. Belle, tending to his wounds. Belle, treating him as a friend. Their day in the snow, the snowball fight, and belle touching his paw without flinching. Belle teaching him to read. Their days in the library reading her favorites. Belle, just yesterday telling him she enjoyed herself here. Belle, with a smile meant for him.

"See, you can't deny it can you?" he wouldn't say it, oh no he would not, but he knew there was truth behind his own thoughts. He wouldn't admit it until she could hear it.

"Master, Mrs. Potts tells me that dinner is almost ready and so is the girl. We really should get you prepared as well. Monsieur Cheveux is ready and waiting as well as Monsieur Mercerie." Griffith stayed looking out over his balcony for a moment longer before turning and doing as his servants asked. Washed and dried in no time he sat down for a trim from Monsieur Cheveux. His body being completely covered in fur was not easy as it grew much faster and thicker then it ever had as a human. He needed it trimmed at least once a month during the fall and winter, but as many as four times during the warmer summer months. Having finally trimmed it down to a manageable length, Monsieur Cheveux left him to the mercy of his partner, dressing him in the regency clothing that he was no longer used to. It perturbed him that the very idea of clothing now seemed appalling, but such was the nature of the beast.

Pacing the hall, just out of sight of the grand staircase, Griffith waited for his cue. Lumiere was waiting to spot Mrs. Potts on the other side to usher him over so he only had to stand on formalities for a few moments before descending to meet with Belle.

"Calm down, Master, she will love tonight. If the past few months haven't been any kind of stepping stone, tonight will be a bridge to our freedom! I just know it." Lumiere tried to assure the obviously nervous beast before him.

"Yes, the girl has been on a systematic path aimed straight for you, it is only a matter of time now!" Cogsworth shined the glass on his chest until it was spotless, as if it wasn't before he started, and wished he could see his own face for the moment to see how much longer they would have to wait. Mrs. Potts wasn't known to be too punctual, but she could do so in a pinch.

"Belle is a friend, and she sees me as such. I look a beast, how could she ever look past the fur to see the skin? If she can't do that, then how can she see past social norms to fall for an animal? And if she falls for an animal, then is she truly falling for me?"