10 - Boarding

"If the British crew could pass through the security screener first, that would be great," announced the blonde-haired Security Supervisor.

She wore a smart grey trouser-suit over a white blouse with an enormous, fashionable, angular collar. The style of the outfit would have been better suited to a woman at least a decade older than her apparent mid-twenties. She was already tall but her bouffant perm and stiletto heels made her appear taller than both of the crews now queuing in their flat-soled shoes to board the orbital shuttle.

There was a general murmur of complaint from the US crew, but three British crew took the opportunity to walk in single file through the arched, white plastic security scanner. As each passed through it made a gentle bong sound and flashed a green light mounted on the top of its arch.

"How come they don't have any equipment?" demanded the leader of the US salvage team, Captain Lee.

"What do you mean?" asked the Security Supervisor, already sounding annoyed.

"Well look at us! We've got eight holdalls of kit between us, but the Brit crew? They've got nothing!"

"Oh, I see. Sorry, their equipment was taken up in yesterday's shuttle. I thought it would help avoid any weight issues in today's launch."

"Weight issues? What about putting their stuff through the scanner?"

"We did. I put everything through personally, yesterday," she explained cheerfully.

"Look, lady, why do our bags have to be scanned anyway? We're meant to be on the same side. Don't you trust us? Do we LOOK like terrorists?"

"Do you know what terrorists look like?" she asked in reply.

"Well... er... no... but..."

"And neither do I. As the person responsible for security at this terminal, it's my job not to trust anybody, anybody at all. So, do I trust you? No."

The US crew began to begrudgingly load their baggage onto the conveyor belt ready to be passed through the luggage scanner. The first bag had barely passed through the scanner when Linda Miller, the team's second-in-command pushed her way through the double doors into the scanner room, carrying two large, brown, mock-leather suitcases. Both of them appeared to be packed to bursting and of considerable weight.

She marched towards the scanner arch, struggling to walk consistently with the weight of both cases throwing her off balance. Just before she reached the arch, the Security Supervisor stepped out in front of her and held out her hand in a stop gesture.

"Where do you think you're going, Madam?"

"I'm taking these bags through to that door," Linda Miller replied, staring the supervisor straight in the eye and nodding to the wide door behind the scanner arch.

"You most certainly are not. All bags have to pass through the luggage scanner. No exceptions."

"Not these. Do you see the seals embossed on the sides?"

"Yes. So?" replied the Security Officer, looking slightly puzzled.

"Those are US Embassy emblems. These are diplomatic bags and YOU do not have authority to scan them."

"In which case, I'm not going to let you take them to the shuttle. There's no diplomatic channel here," she snarled.

"Oh yes there is," replied Linda, dropping both cases heavily on the tiled floor.

She reached inside the chest zip of her blue jumpsuit and pulled out a thick document printed on thick, watermarked paper. It was folded three times but she did not bother to unfold it before pushing it aggressively at the rather startled-looking Security Supervisor.

The Supervisor took it tentatively, holding it in her fingertips as though it was unhygienic, and unfolded it carefully.

"That is the correct official documentation, stating that I am the official US Ambassador to the Jupiter Orbital Region and that according to international law you are required to allow me to take my diplomatic bags on any flight to that region without hindrance, interference or breach of privacy."

"Is this legitimate?"

"Totally. Contact your Foreign Office if you want to check. These suitcases are going on that shuttle, and there's nothing you can do about it."

The Security Supervisor studied the document for a few moments and then sighed and stepped to one side.

"Greetings, Ms Ambassador. Welcome to the ESA orbital shuttle terminal," she said, with just a faint hint of annoyance in her voice.

Linda Miller heaved the two suitcases off the ground and set off again for the arched scanner. As she approached the Security Supervisor signalled to the operator to disable the machine and let the new Ambassador pass unchallenged.

(Please don't forget to VOTE for chapters you enjoyed).