24: Something Big

As rain wrested control of the skies from receding snowfall's lifeless hands, every soul within the old castle walls came alive once again, enlivened by the prospect of a visit to Hogsmeade.

"We've got to go to Zonko's," Will declared, shifting his bag higher onto his shoulder.

Arabella scoffed, tearing her eyes off his and Halia's wide grins. "Really? I thought you'd have outgrown that by now."

"Oh, come on," Halia pleaded. "Just think of Nik's face when he finds out that you've transfigured Hiccough Sweets to look like his favourite chocolate!"

"That's childish," Arabella shook her head, quickening her already brisk pace. "Look, I'd love to stay and chat, but --"

The two Hufflepuffs shared a knowing look. "You've got to go. We know."

Arabella shrugged, fidgeting with a loose thread of her robe. "Are we still meeting at the Three Broomsticks, though?"

"Yeah," Will brightened slightly. "Just. . . . uh, just don't bring anyone with you. Except maybe Malfoy."

She laughed, rolling her eyes. "All right, then. Fancy seeing you there, too."

Halia watched her retreating form with curious eyes, weaving through the jumble of thoughts in her mind until she settled upon one in particular, the tiniest of smiles curling across her lips.

"What're you so happy about?" Will asked her with a gentle nudge.

"I just figured something out."

Nothing else was said for a moment as they continued along the corridor in no hurry to reach Potions. Unable to bear the suspense any longer, Will sighed. "Care to share?"

"I suppose I could," Halia replied in a lilting voice.

"Well, then," he gestured for her to continue.

She clutched onto the book in her hands tightly, drawing in a sharp, excited breath before launching into an explanation. "You and I both know that she's hiding something from us -- something big. It can't be Abraxas, because we talk about him too much, and she never reacts. Once we brought up Nikolai, she took off."

Will nodded slowly, processing everything with a furrowed brow. "So? That could mean anything."

"Don't you see?" Halia smiled.

"No, that's why I'm pointing out that this doesn't make any sense at all," Will deadpanned. "Maybe talking about her family just brings up memories of. . . . y'know. . . ."

"Or," Halia said pointedly, "she and Nik are up to something."

He shook his head, laughing softly. "When is that boy not up to something?"

"Exactly!" she exclaimed, relaxing her shoulders. "But how many times is Arabella in on it, too?"

He mulled over the theory for a little while longer, running it through his mind repeatedly as he regarded the past weeks' abnormalities. Everything seemed to align, but he didn't want to believe it.

"But what could it be?" he asked, dumbfounded.

"I don't know," Halia responded truthfully. "Guess we'll have to find out for ourselves, won't we?"

Far behind them, something in the shadows shifted, glinting brilliantly in the torchlight for a moment before dissolving into the darkness.

✧ ✧ ✧

"I want that done by Monday."

"But -- my Lord, the trip is tomorrow!" Pollux Avery stammered, staring wide-eyed in fear at the pale boy who sat before him like a king.

Tom Riddle's lips twisted into a cruel smile. "Monday, Pollux -- or I can show you what happens when I don't get what I want. Perhaps that would. . . . encourage. . . . you to finish ahead of schedule in the future."

Avery gulped, nodding hastily as he exited the abandoned classroom, wiping his palms on his robes in anguish. As he barrelled out the door, he brushed shoulders with none other than Arabella herself, who cast a glare of derision at him.

She strode into the room with her back straight as a rod, but one could see through her confident façade if they noticed the tremor that wracked her hands, which she clasped together tightly.

Tom lifted his chin in acknowledgement of her presence, to which she offered a small curtsy. The first time she had attended a meeting, she'd just stood there awkwardly -- it had taken him two, small impatient coughs and the concerned stares of nearly everyone else in the room to make her realise what he desired. She wished never to feel that burning flush creep across her face ever again, at least not under his indifferent gaze.

He examined his wand idly, barely even raising his voice so that she could hear it without straining her ears. "You're not going to Hogsmeade tomorrow, Arabella."

"Pardon?" she said in disbelief, raising her eyebrows.

"You've other things to do," Tom replied coolly, glancing up at her over the smooth lines of his wand. "Better things."

She bit the insides of her cheeks to contain the bitter laugh that threatened to spill out of her lips. "I'm sorry, T-- my Lord -- but I've made--"

"Your friends are very kind," he commented airily. "I'm sure they'll understand that you couldn't leave Nikolai alone, especially not after how erratic he's been lately. No telling if he'll just. . . . fall off the Astronomy Tower. It'd be tragic, wouldn't it?"

Arabella's eyes flashed indignantly. "Is that a threat, my Lord?"

"It is only what you make of it," he said distantly, a smile twitching at the corners of his lips.

"You are reticent, Arabella," he added on, leaning his elbow on his knee. "There is still so much I'm yet to know about you."

"And just what makes you so confident that I'll divulge everything about myself to you, my Lord?"

A wicked grin spread across Tom's face. "They always do, Arabella. Always."

\\

Sorry for the super long wait and short, not-so-great chapter! I've just been having a bout of writer's block lately :(

Thank you all for being so patient with me! Ten points to all your houses 💚

Today's Question: What do you think is going on with the prophecy now that more has occurred?

(If you don't remember it, I believe it's in Chapter 7?)

I've also begun a book of face claims, if you're interested. Just a little something to help all of you lovely people out.

And one last heads-up: my schedule is freer now that the theatre production I was in is over, which means more updates! :D

Vote and comment if you enjoyed! You know how I love your feedback :)

Until next time,
-o