Chasing Silver

I chase perfect imperfection. 

I first met Silver in school. He was just a face in a crowd that I would have overlooked. But something about him made me stop and stare. Maybe it was the way his intense pale blue eyes stared at me, or his windswept blonde hair that covered half his face. Or maybe it was the lopsided smirk on his face. I didn't exactly know.

I remember looking at all the other student pushing and shoving each other to get to class on time. None of them seemed to have noticed the eccentric boy. I was puzzled because I'd never seen him before. My town was one of those towns where everyone knew each others secrets. Gossip spread faster than the Chickenpox. It is a downfall about living in a small town. I would have heard from Mum about a new family moving in but there was not a word about new comers. After all, she was the queen of gossip.

He stood here with his hands stuffed into a pair of dirty jeans and a red top with a faded coca cola bottle on it. His clothing were dirty as though he had be wearing them for a long time. I noticed a petite girl walk through him like he wasn't there. Stopping in her tracks, she turned to look at him but seeing nothing she carried on jogging to class. She did feel his presence. I wasn't imagining it. I wasn't imagining him. He seemed not to have noticed the girl as he cocked his head to the side, his eyes focused on me. I noticed his smirk turn into a genuine smile. It didn't light up his face but it was there just hanging on his lips. He turned his head to the side and saw a angry white scar running along his forehead to his eyes. The scar flicker omniously in the artfical light, making his face look deadly.

The warning bell rang, vibrating through the walls, threatening me. A boy hurriedly ran down the corridor, accidentally shoving me in the shoulders but he didn't appear to regard me. I stumbled back almost losing my footing. The hallway had cleared, and it was only me and Silver. He stuck out like a sore thumb in this environment. School and him didn't fit each other. 

Instead of walking towards me like I expected, he turned away from me. His shoulders tense and hands clenched into a fist. The scruffy converse he wore scrapped against the linoleum floor leaving black line. Silver trudged forward and stopped until he was more that twenty feet away from me. He looked over his shoulder at me as though daring me to follow him. Pale blue eyes glinted with mischief and the air around him sparked with mystery. He jerked his head ahead indicating  to me he was going. It was that moment I realized what he wanted me to do. He wanted me to chase him. Chase him to wherever he was going. He wanted to see if I would catch up with him.

I will.

I'll make sure I will.