share a gift

Since its almost Christmas, I would like to share to you a story about one of my personal experiences with the abandoned elderly. Here's a picture of us above.

On Dec. 13, Sunday, we visited Por Cristo, the Home for the Abandoned Elderly in a place called Avilan for our Share A Gift. After the opening program, we started giving gifts and talking to the elderly. I couldn't pick who to interview since it was so crowded.

Until I saw an elderly woman sitting next to a blind woman. So I was pulled by destiny to her.

Her name is Wilfreda Garcia, 63. Surprisingly, she's half - filipino, half - Canadian. Her father is from Bohol and her mother who is still alive, is from Canada.

" Canadian pero maot ang panit. " ( I'm Canadian but I have ugly skin ) she jokes. She has difficulty in seeing because of cataract and also with hearing. She has been in Por Cristo for one year.

Her husband who was a soldier, died and she has three sons. She's a very religious woman and she revealed that she was a spiritual healer or mananambal in Maguinda, Agusan del Sur. She just prays over the sickly and they are healed she doesn't accept money as payment but instead, food. Though poor, she worked hard just to pay for the education of her sons, who all became seamen.

Her youngest son married a woman but the woman was dependent on her son and only after his money. Soon, the three sons along with Lola Wilfreda's mother migrated to Canada and left Lola Wilfreda in Por Cristo.

They last visited four months ago. This Christmas, she awaits the arrival of sons to get out from there and bring her to Canada along with them and to treat her cataract.

With the story of her youngest son, she told me a lesson that, to never exchange a mother for any man or woman because there are so many people in the world but we only came from one mother.