Chapter Eighteen

Benjamin turns out to be an amazing musician. We played some duets of flute and piano, I'll have to tell Nate of his skills, so I guess we had an unofficial date. After two hours of playing with Benjamin, we part ways.

Benjamin stays in the music room while I go down to the stables, not for horses though. My pony is there, he's not much bigger than a deer.

When I walk in the stables I see my creamy Brown pony standing in his stall. I grab his lead rope off the hook next to his stable, "Hey Peanut Butter." I coo.

He whinnies happily. I hook the rope to his bridle and open the gate to his stall, he trots out happily. Peanut Butter is more like my big dog than a pony.

I lead the little pony out of the stables and into the gardens, daddy gave me Peanut Butter when I was five, I could still ride him then, now I'm way too big. For riding I have Nightshade, my solid black horse.

As Peanut and I walk by the doors to the palace my mother comes out of the door and peers around before spoting me, a worried look on her face.

She rushes over to me, her dress blowing in the light breeze. "Hey mom! What's up?"

She waits a moment to catch her breath, "Come on Brynlyn, we've got to get to a safe room, the rebels are in the palace!" She grabs my arm and we run into the palace, Peanut Butter trailing behind.

Mom opens a secret door and it opens with a nearly silent whoosh. Mom, the pony and I run down the corridor. In the distance I hear gunshots.

"Are the alarms broken?" I ask fearfully.

She looks and me and nods, she slows down, "They got into the wiring and cut the wires that go to the alarm."

We continue walking until we reach the safe room where I see everyone, but something's missing. Not sure what, probably not important.

The selected look horrified, but at least their safe. Dad sees us and runs over, throwing his arms around us. "Did you find Nathan, Emmica?"

My mother shakes her head fearfully.

I just realized what's missing.