Chapter 9

[A.N.] I just wanted to say Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone! Enjoy your gift!
_____________
"Nice seeing you again."

I looked up from my phone as the elevator door opened back up again. Tara stepped in, smiling wide at me. I smiled back, putting my phone away in my back pocket.

"It's nice to see that you're in a better mood than you were yesterday."

She sighed while still having a welcoming smile on her face. "That Ivy bitch. She's so fake and just... Ugh! I hate her."

"Oh." I said, not knowing how to react when a girl has a grudge against another girl. "Why do you hate her so much anyway?"

"She cheated to get into here- got someone to write her essays for her. She even lied about her income to get some scholarship. I don't even know how she hasn't been caught yet. It's not fair that people like you and I work our butts off to get into a college like this while there are snobby rich kids that don't want to spend a dime or do any work." She looked completely furious, hands in fists and everything.

The elevator doors opened and we both walked out into the lobby area. We passed the front desk, greeting Todd as we made it to the door.

"But, that's nothing knew." I continued the conversation, as we walked outside. "There are a ton of people that do that. Why does she in particular piss you off so much?"

"I was getting ready to bust her until she threatened to spread this rumor that I slept with a bunch guys in high school- as if she would know."

I made a disapproving face. I don't really understand why girls work so hard to bring other girls down by spreading lies about each other. Is that an evolutionary trait? I know the saying goes "survival of the fittest" but no one said that had to be taken to the extreme.

As far as I knew, Tara was a good person. Crazy, but a good person. Trust me. I've been around enough people and Alex to confirm this.

"She's so childish, I know." She continued on. "I can't wait for some scandal to happen and she kicked out of here for good."

A scandal would be nice. I mean, not the scandal itself but the amount of national publicity the university would suddenly get. NYU is pretty well-known already, but imagine, on the front page of The New York Times, "Wealthy NYU Student Cheats Her Way In". I can see it now...

Something about scandals at colleges and universities that reach the national level excite me beyond measure. I don't know why.

"Can we stop at Starbucks for a sec so I can get a frappé?" Tara asked, nodding her head over to the coffee shop.

I gritted my teeth at the memory of Blake and when he bought me that stupid frappé. Fuck him and his frappé! It's too bad they actually taste good, because now every time I think of one, I think of that asshole.

I checked my phone to see how many minutes we had until class started, then nodded when I saw that we had time. I walked with her across the busy street. She got her caramel frappé, which, of course, looked pretty good, and drank in on our way to the science building.

We arrived at class relatively early again, with only a few people in the class, and took our seats in the same ones as before.  Everyone was already diligently reviewing Monday's lecture notes or checking their social network accounts on their laptops. Tara and I kept our conversation to whispers since the entire classroom was awkwardly quiet to begin with.

"So how are your other classes?" I asked Tara.

"Russian language and Russian history I'm pretty excited about so far." She said. "The rest of them are ok, I guess. We started stoichiometry in chemistry yesterday." She made a fake puking face which made me chuckle a little.