Chapter 12

The following Monday in biology class, I made sure to ask Tara about to the party. I arrived early to the classroom as usual and she was in her seat before me. She looked up from her laptop when she heard the door close behind me and gave a bright smile.

"Hey. How was your weekend?" She asked.

I set my book bag down under the desk and sat down in the swivel chair. "It was fine. Nothing special happened. How was yours?"

"Good." She said. "Oh, yea. Miles told about the party..."

"I was just going to ask you about that. He was wondering if you could come, but he said you didn't give a clear answer."

"I don't know... fraternities can be sketchy." She scrunched up her nose and reclined back in her chair.

"You can invite a friend to come along with you if that makes you comfortable." I said.

She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Maybe. I can see if my roommate wants to go. But I'm just saying, I've heard enough from my mom about what guys do at these kind of parties."

"We'll just make sure to stay together as a group."

Her eyebrow popped up then fell. "Yea, ok."

She took out a binder from her book bag and ripped out a sheet of paper from it. She clicked the pen next to her laptop and started writing on it. When she lifted her hand, I saw that she had written my name in messy cursive.

"Can I have your number so I can text you my response on whether I'll go or not?" She asked.

I obliged and took the pen from her to write down my phone number.

"What happened to your phone?" I asked, curious why she didn't just take my number down directly in her phone.

"I forgot to charge it last night. Again."

I scoffed. "That sucks."

"Yep." She folded up the paper and stuck it under the cover of her biology textbook then turned back to me. "The party's at eight, right?" I nodded. "And does Miles have a thing for me or something. He seemed kind of nervous when he came to my door Thursday."

"Oh, I don't know." I said, trying to play off that I did, in fact, know that Miles had some degree of a crush on her. "Weird that he was nervous though."

I wasn't going to actually straight out tell her that Miles liked her since that would be messed up. If he was shy just by talking to her than it may kill him for me to tell Tara how he felt about her behind his back. I was thinking that it was just some infatuation phase since all he talked about was her tomboyish and fiery personality and how pretty- correction- hot she is. Tara seemed like the type of girl who wouldn't let a guy down easy and I wasn't about to be in the middle of it all if it didn't work out the way Miles wanted it to.

"Very weird, indeed." She scoffed under her breath and swiveled her chair around so that she was facing her computer once again.

I got out the rest of my materials for class and took out my laptop to pull up the PowerPoint on chromosomal mutations. As I was doing so, I looked around to see that most of the class had already filled the seats yet the one next to me was empty without Keith sitting in it.  I huffed to myself and rolled my eyes. It's just sad when people don't have a decent care in their education.

Professor Steiner started the class by recapping on the reading that was assigned last Wednesday. The rest of the class time was spent going through the PowerPoint slides. The only really interesting part of the two hours was some girl bringing up a picture that she saw on Facebook of a tiger that was said to have Down Syndrome. The professor made a sub-lesson out of what the girl said and spent some ten minutes talking about tigers' gene pools.