Part 1

(This part took me 2 years to write, so don't expect the next part anytime soon. I was also writing this when I first started to write stories so sorry if the beginning is a bit repetitive)

A blue skinny hedgehog lay in a cage, fresh wipe slashes on his back. The blue hedgehog shivered and he was thrown against the side as the cage shook, Sonic heard the pounding of hoofs from the horses and heard the voice of his master, Scrouge. Sonic had tried to escape that night but, was quickly caught by the dogs and taken back to Scrouge. Sonic shivered, ragged pants hung around his waist with giant holes in the knees. The trader Scrouge showed no mercy to the slaves and Sonic was separated from his mother and siblings when he was only eight, he lost his father to another trader and didn't know what become of him. Sonic looked up as light filled the cage, he looked around to find himself in a market, a slave market. Scrouge laughed as he saw the beaten hedgehog "given up already? Well I'm surprised"Sonic huffed and didn't try to show weakness but, the lashes on his back hurt badly. Many people passed by Sonic and many other slaves, then Sonic saw him a black and red hedgehog in the crowd. He stood tall and strong, he had a black cloak on his back and a sword strapped to his belt that held up baggy pants. He looked at Sonic with sympathy in his eyes and walked up to the cage, before the hedgehog even got close Scrouge stopped him.
"are you interested in him?" Scrouge asked
The hedgehog looked at him "step away so I can see him"
Scrouge gritted his teeth "and why would I do that?"
The black hedgehog drew his sword and pointed it at Scrouge's throat "I said step aside" Scrouge sighed and stepped aside and the hedgehog walked up to the cage.
Sonic hid his face when the black hedgehog came closer and he spoke "May I see your face" Sonic didn't hear bitterness but, concern in his voice and Sonic slowly looked at the black hedgehog and the black hedgehog smiled "what's your name?"
"S...Sonic" Sonic mumbled
Shadow nodded "I'm Sir Shadow" Shadow turned to Scrouge "how much"
Scrouge spoke "100 gold coins"
Shadow reached into his pocket and threw a bag of coins at Scrouge and turned back to Sonic and whispered to him "where I live, you'll be more then a slave". Sonic's ears perked at this but, didn't move as Scrouge opened the cage with a rope to put around Sonic's neck but, Shadow stopped him "that's won't be necessary"
Scrouge spoke "he'll run away"
"No he won't" Shadow said and turned to Sonic as he stepped out of the cage "come" Shadow turned and walked away and Sonic quickly followed.
When they left the market Shadow walked to a black mare and gently patted it's neck and it nuzzles against him "this is Black Storm, we just call her Storm sometimes"
Sonic spoke "can I?" Shadow nodded and Sonic held out his hand and Black Storm sniffed him and nuzzles against Sonic's hand and gently pushed to his pants hoping to find a treat "you won't find anything, sorry girl" Black Storm did small huff and Shadow put a saddle on her back then, got on her.
Shadow held out his hand and Sonic took it and was pulled onto Black Storm "hold on tight" Shadow said and Black Storm did a small rear and raced forward. Sonic felt his cheeks becoming warm as he held onto Shadow. They rode for about an hour when they came to a village with a wall surrounding it, Shadow jumped off Black Storm and helped Sonic down and spoke "hey Jet!" A green hawk looked at them and waved telling them he heard and opened the door, Shadow led Black Storm and Sonic through town and Sonic looked around in wonder. The village wasn't big but, wasn't small it was fill with smiling people, some where selling, on horses or buying.
Sonic spoke "so why am I here?"
"Your going to be my trainee" Shadow said not looking back at Sonic.
Sonic ran next to him ignoring his whip slashes "why me? Why a slave?"
"You have potential in you, from the many scars on your back, you tried to escape many times" Shadow said.
Sonic spoke again "are there more Knights? Trainees?"
"Yes we have more Knights" Shadow said "Knuckles, Rouge, Silver, Jet, Blaze, Espio, Vector, Charmy, me and my father Mephilis"
Sonic looked worried "so not that many"
Shadow nodded "that's why we have Trainees, we have six Trainees including you"
"Who are they?" Sonic asked. They arrived at the stables and Sonic helped Shadow get Black Storm in her stall.
Shadow spoke "the trainees are Tails our first trainee, then came Bolt, Fang, Luster and Lilly. They are all becoming great Knights"
Sonic spoke "what are they like?"
Shadow smiled "you have a lot of questions, they will all be answered but, first you need to clean up"
Sonic chuckled a bit "yea..."
"I'll take you to Miss. Amy, Miss. Vanilla and Miss. Cream. They'll clean you up" Shadow said as he closed the stall door and walked away and Sonic nodded and quickly followed. They came to a cottage not far from where the Knights stayed and Shadow knocked on the door.
A small brown rabbit opened the door "hello Mr. Shadow" the brown rabbit said, she wore a golden dress
"Hi Cream, can we come in?" Shadow asked
"Mhmm" Cream said an opened the door wider and Shadow walked in followed by Sonic
Shadow turned to Cream "where's Amy and your mother?"
"Momma is in the garden getting more food for dinner, Miss. Amy is in the kitchen" Cream said
Shadow smiled "thanks Cream, we need Amy"
Cream nodded and ran to the kitchen and called in and a pink hedgehog wearing a royal blue dress walked in "you called?"
Shadow nodded "can you give Sonic a bath and new clothes?"
Amy nodded and spoke "of course, Sonic come with me, Cream would you mind finishing in there?"
Cream smiled "I don't mind Amy" she went to the kitchen and Sonic followed Amy to another room and turned on the water.
Amy turned to Sonic "I'll get you new clothes, You get in the bath and take off those pants" Amy went to leave when she noticed the fresh wounds on Sonic's back "and I'll do something to fix that up"
Sonic smiled slightly "thank you Miss. Amy"
"Just call me Amy" she said be for she left. Sonic took off his pants and went into the water, he gently scrubbed the dirt off him and even gently rubbed his back. When he got out of the bath, he noticed new pair pants. He dried himself and slipped them on and saw a brown cloak and put it around his neck. He walked out to see Amy holding a white cloth, Sonic noticed it had a stick pollution on it and she walked to Sonic. Amy lifted his cloak and place the cloth on his back, it stung a bit but, it went away.
"What on that?" Sonic asked as Amy took her hands away for the cloth
"It should heal your wounds and the sticky white stuff on the rim keeps it in place" Amy said and walked in front of Sonic "dinner will be ready soon, Shadow's waiting for you"
Sonic nodded "thanks Amy"
"No problem" Amy smiled and went to the kitchen and Sonic walked out of the house to see Shadow waiting for him.
"That's better" Shadow said "I'll show you were you sleep" Shadow turned again and Sonic followed, they passed a big ring and Shadow spoke "that's the training area, were we train. The Knights and Trainees train here every day" Shadow passed by many houses close together, a white bat and a purple cat were talking and they waved to Shadow and he waved back.
"Who were they" Sonic asked
"The bat was Rouge and the cat was Blaze" Shadow said and he stopped in front of a medium sized building. "This is we're the Trainees sleep, there all in there after training. When you hear the bell ring three times, dinner is ready"
Sonic nodded "thank you Shadow"
"No problem, now go meet you new friends" Shadow said and walked away.
Sonic opened the door and walked in, everyone turned to him and Sonic looked down. When he finally looked up, he looked around and the closest one to him was a two tailed yellow fox who was reading a book, next to him was an empty bed. On the other side of the room from the was a blue wolf, he had his sword in his hand and was tinkering with it. Next to him, a blonde cat with a hat and denim jacket lay on her bed, in her hand she held three glowing blue knives and the disappeared like smoke, the two beds on either side one had a red hedgehog and to Sonic's surprise he had a medal hand, he flicked his wrist and a sword shot out of hit, he looked at Sonic one eye hazel and one eye icy blue. On the other side of the hedgehog was another one but, he was yellow and his quills got darker. Lightning danced on hi fingers as he watched Sonic.
The yellow Fox set down the book and walked to Sonic "hi my name's it Miles 'Tails' Prower, people just call me Tails"
Sonic smiled "I'm Sonic, I guess I'm Shadow's new Trainee" everyone looked surprised even the red and yellow hedgehog who looked at each other then, back at Sonic.
"Well, I'm surprised but let me introduce you to the others" Tails said and turned to them. He pointed at the blue wolf, then the cat followed by the red then yellow hedgehogs, "that's Fang, he's a great builder, that's Lily even though she doesn't really like to fight, she does if she has too and she very accurate, the last two bucketbrains" the two hedgehogs gave Tails a glare but, just smiled and looked away "that's Luster he's sword arm got cut off but, with the help of Fang he was able to have his sword attached to his arm and last but not least that's Bolt, as you cam see he can control lightning" Luster and Bolt nodded and Sonic nodded back. Tails led Sonic to his bed, "this is where you sleep"
"Thanks Tails" Sonic said
"Your welcome" Tails said. Just as Sonic was about to sit down three dings of a bell sounded.
Lily and Fang ran out arguing about something, Luster and Bolt quickly followed and Tails spoke "come on, we have to get there before Vector gets to the food or there won't be any left"
Sonic laughed at that "that's a good think I'm fast on my feet then, want a lift?"
Tails nodded "sure" Sonic picked Tails up and they raced forward "whoa!" When they reached the mess hall they ran inside to see they were the only ones here "yes!" Tails raced forward to were a big bowl of soup lay with many bowls filled beside it, Cream handed Sonic and Tails both their own bowls and spoons.
"Thank you" Sonic said
"Your welcome Mr. Sonic" Cream said happily
Tails lead walking towards a table with six chairs and Sonic followed. They both sat down a Tails began to eat, Sonic sniffed it then took a small sip then, took a spoonful.
Sonic spoke "this is good"
"Yea, I love Amy's soup" Tails said and turned to see Shadow walk in with a silver hedgehog and a red echidna. "The hedgehog is Silver and that's Knuckles, I'm his Trainee" Sonic nodded as he saw Fang and Lily ran into the mess hall and waited as the Knights took there soup then, they grabbed there's and came to the table, Fang and Lily sat side by side. Fang sat beside Sonic as Lily sat on the other side of Fang. Sonic turned to see a Knight that looked exactly like Shadow except different colors, he wore a red cloak, he wore camo pants with a sword strapped to his belt. Sonic saw the gray hedgehog pat Shadow on the shoulder before he went to get his share. Luster and Bolt came in, grabbed there bowls and sat down at the two remaining seats. Sonic turned back to his soup and started to eat it again.
"So what do we do after we eat?" Sonic asked Tails
Tails answered "well, we muck out the horses stalls"
"We work with the horses?" Sonic said
Tails smiled "yea, we learn how to take care of horses because we get our own when we are almost Knights, if we are lucky we can get one sooner"
Sonic smiled at this and whispered "yes" He looked up to see a purple camillion, a bee, a green hawk and the rest of the Knights quickly grabbed there bowls then, moved as a green crocodile enter and he grabbed three bowls of soup. Sonic watched the crocodile as he quickly ate the soup then, grabbed three more bowls.
Sonic eyes widened with surprise "what the?!?!"
Tails laughed "that's Vector for you, he loves this soup normally he will only take four but, look there is still some left" Tails quickly got up and grabbed one of the bowls and came back. Sonic liked the soup and started eating again, when he was finished he looked to see two more bowls left and he went to retrieve one, when he grabbed his bowl he looked up to see Shadow's look alike.
"You must be my son's new Trainee" Sonic nodded and he continued "I'm Mephiles"
"Sonic" Sonic said and looked down
"No need to put your head down young'n" Mephiles said Sonic looked at Mephiles and he spoke again "go eat, you must be hungry"
Sonic nodded "thank you sir"
"No need to call me sir" Mephiles said and Sonic nodded and went back to Tails.
"What did he say?" Tails asked
"He just introduced himself" Sonic said as he began to eat, Blaze retrieved the last bowl and shared it with Rouge. When Sonic was done the Trainees left and went to the stables, Sonic went to Black Storm and she nuzzled against him.
"Hey Sonic, give her this" Tails said and tossed him a sugar cube.
Sonic nodded "thanks Tails" he held out his hand and Black Storm ate it up, Sonic laughed as she nuzzled against him for more "sorry girl, no more" Tails raced to Knuckles Horse's stall, a white stallion. Sonic put on Black Storm's brindle and walked her out of the stall. So did the other Trainees, Black Storm raced into the meadow and ran around Knuckles's stallion following.
Sonic spoke "what's his name?"
"That's Whirlwind, he's the fastest horse, great for scouting" Tails said "come on, we have to muck out the stalls" Sonic followed and Sonic helped Tails with Whirlwind's stall and Tails helped Sonic with Black Storm's stall. When they were done, Sonic and Tails left to retrieve the horses.
"This is the hardest part, getting them to come back" Tails said he was about to open the door when Sonic stopped him.
"Let them run for a moment" Sonic said he sat on the post watching each horse running.
Tails joined him "you seem to know a lot about horses"
Sonic sighed "I took care of them, when I was a slave" there was surprise in Tails's eyes but, he put it aside "so which horse belongs to who?"
"You see those two stallions?" Sonic nodded and Tails continued "there brothers, the one that's all white and has black patch over his eyes, we call him Bandit he belongs to Rouge, the other one who Brown with a white nose his name is Longstride, for his long legs he belongs to Blaze. That cream mare her name is Spirit, she belongs to Espio. The small brown stallion with a white mane his name Zippy, he belongs to Charmy. That white horse with black spots is name Breeze, he belongs to Silver. That big Brown horse is named Big, he belongs to Vector, he's the strongest horse. That misty horse is named Hidden Mist he belongs to Jet and you see that black stallion out there on the hill, he is the father of Black Storm, he is strong, fast, and bold his name is Courageous, he's Mephiles's horse and he only trusts Mephiles. He's allowed to roam here and he always watches over all the horses." Sonic looked at Courageous and saw him looking at him.
Luster spoke "we should get the horses back" the trainees nodded and jumped of the fence, except for Sonic who put his hands to his mouth and letting out a high pitched whistle. Everyone turned to Sonic then to the horses, they all looked at Sonic who did the whistle again and Black Storm raced forward followed by Whirlwind and the others.
"How did you do that?!?!" Lily asked as she grabbed Spirit and tide Breeze to the post.
Sonic grabbed Black Storm and put her lead on "like I said I worked with horses" Sonic gently patted Black Storm's neck and led her back to her stall. Sonic closed the door behind him and gently placed his hand on her stomach "looks like no one will be riding you for a few months" Black Storm huffed like she didn't like the idea but, she sighed "I'll tell Shadow"
"Tell me what?" A voice said behind him and Sonic jumped. Sonic turned to see Shadow looking at him.
"Come here" Sonic said, Shadow opened the stall and walked in, Sonic grabbed Shadow's hand and placed it on Black Storm's stomach. Sonic's hand was on top of Shadow's hand and they felt a small movement and Shadow let out a small gasp.
"Wha..?" Shadow looked at Sonic
"Black Storm, I think is expecting a foal" Sonic said
"How?" Shadow asked
Sonic pointed to Whirlwind "I think it was his fault" Sonic smiled a bit as he noticed Whirlwind hide his face behind his stall. Shadow smiled a bit "it's been awhile since Black Storm is expecting a foal" Sonic then looked at his hand and noticed it was still on top of Shadow's hand and he quickly pulled it away. Shadow smiled at this but, it quickly disappeared.
Sonic walks out of the stall and Shadow followed, when they left the stall Shadow spoke "go to sleep, tomorrow we are teaching you How to fight" Sonic nodded and walked to were the trainee's sleep and walked inside, Sonic walked to his bed to see it made for him. He looked at the others and saw each of them in there bed sleeping, except for Tails who was reading a book with a small flame.
Luster Sat up and spoke "Tails go to bed!" Tails jumped and quickly blew out the flame and went to sleep. Sonic got in his bed, it felt so soft and he slowly went to sleep. He woke to someone shaking him, he opened his eyes and saw Tails over him "Sonic come on get up. Breakfast is being served" Sonic groaned as he stood and followed Tails the the mess hall. They walked in there was few plates left with eggs and a piece of bread, Sonic and Tails each grabbed a plate and they joined the other Trainees.
Fang spoke to Sonic when he sat down "hey Sonic check this out" Fang handed Sonic a piece of paper with a drawing of sword on it "I drew that up for you, so the blacksmith can make it"
"thanks Fang!" Shadow said "I'll ask Shadow" Fang nodded happily and continued eating. Sonic took a bite of his bread and then, some eggs. When the Trainees finished, they all walked to there mentors.
Sonic walked to Shadow and Shadow spoke "come, I'm taking you to the blacksmith to make your sword" Sonic nodded as he followed Shadow. they walked to a small open space where a brown and white wolf had an apron on, the white on his coat was light brown and his apron was also had a black coating. he held a sword in his hands and he brought it over a spinning rock wheel and sharpened it.
"hey Coal" Shadow called
Coal turned to Shadow "hey Shadow, who's this?" he asked when he saw Sonic
"I'm Sonic, Shadow's new trainee" Sonic said
"you took on a trainee?" Coal asked "it's been awhile" Shadow looked away and Coal turned to Sonic "so you need a sword?"
Sonic nodded and handed Coal the paper with the picture of the sword "Fang drew that up"
Coal smiled "always rely on Fang for the designs of weapons, I'll make it for you when you are ready to be made a full Knight but, for right now here" Coal grabbed the sword he was working with and handed it to Sonic.
Sonic grabbed the sword and it seemed to weigh perfectly in his hands, Sonic twirled it in his hands and he smiled when he caught it "it great, thanks!"
Coal nodded and spoke "no problem"
Sonic left with Shadow and he noticed something off about him "Shadow are you alright?"
"y...yea I'm fine" Shadow said. Sonic wasn't really convinced but, he pushed it aside.
"so what now?" Sonic asked
Shadow spoke "I teach you the basics of sword fighting but, it's up to you to prefect them" Sonic nodded and they walked to the training arena, were the others were. Sonic watch the other's before he saw Shadow draw his sword.
Shadow spoke "let's begin"