Chapter 4

Chapter 4

" ... Are you hiding something? ... "

" Forest "

Year 700. April 5th. Evening [15:00]

Inondra. Laedoc Town Church.

So says the Timekeeper

*

A girl walks with a quick but steady gait, her eyes focused on the dishpan filled with water in her hands. She would come to an abrupt halt whenever water would overflow from the dishpan and splash droplets onto her white tunic and beige skirt. And she would start walking again after the water went still, making sure to have a slower pace this time. Her footsteps almost echoed in the empty hallway with barren stone walls, the only 'decorations' were the doors into new rooms on either side and evenly spaced out, and the flower pots scattered about on small wooden tables, but even still they don't do much to breathe life into such a desolate hallway. She enters a room in the back of the church that is full of elderly patients, and a few other young women dressed like her caring to the old men and women's needs. The young girl takes her dishpan and approaches an elderly woman sitting in the far corner of the room, staring out the window that overlooks the church garden. "Good morning, Ms. Harley," she greets her in the sweetest voice she can muster, kneeling down and setting the water-filled dishpan on the floor. She takes out a small cloth that was tucked into her yellow sash and dips it into the water, then wringing out the excess water.

She turns her head with a start, eyeing the young girl as if she doesn't recognize her, but soon enough a familiar smile spreads across her face, dimples and all. "Faylinn, how good to see you again, dear. I hope you're not overworking yourself," she reaches her hand forward and strokes Faylinn's dirty blonde hair, "Oh my, why are you covering one of your beautiful eyes with your hair?"

Faylinn kneels and runs the wet cloth gently over Ms. Harley's right leg, starting slow. "I'm alright, there's no need for you to worry about me," she picks her head up just long enough to give the older woman a forced smile, then she returned to her washing. Hearing her question, she raises her shoulders tensely, but she does not remove her eyes from her work, "E-er, well, I'm just trying out a new hair-style." Her lie is poorly crafted, and Faylinn can only hope that Ms. Harley won't prod further into the matter. The truth is, her eye had changed color, and she covers it to keep from attracting unwanted attention. Her eyes, once both a blue-gray shade, were now mismatched, with one of them turning a bright green, and that is the one she hides. It started two days ago, when she remembers that she had a distinctly odd dream, followed by her waking up to find that one of her eyes had changed color. After a few days of her normal chores and prayer, she'd had a while to think about it, and she's starting to believe it wasn't a crazed dream after all...

"But I do worry, dear," Ms. Harley's voice pulls Faylinn back to reality, "ever since the incident you told me ab-" The young girl's eyes stretch wide with fear and alarm, and she quickly raises a finger in front of her mouth followed by a low shushing sound. Ms. Harley's face floods with guilt and recognition, "Right, right, dear, I'm sorry."

Faylinn lowers her shoulders and returns to her washing once again, the air carrying a far different tone now. She continues to work in silence, moving from washing her lower legs to gently running the wet cloth over her arms. Eventually, the young girl speaks up, "Erm... you... you haven't told anyone about that, right?"

Ms. Harley shakes her head immediately, "No, of course not! Your secret is safe with me, Faylinn."

She forces another smile, "Thank you."