Chapter 13

Chapter 13

" ... I mean you no harm ... "

" Void "

Year 700. April 12th. Afternoon [13:46]

Areanra. Beastanger Forests.

So says the Timekeeper

*

'Beastanger' Forests is a curious name for some, because other than demons who wander the four countries, no particularly dangerous creatures live here. Or at least that's what most people who are just passing through think. To those who make these forests their home, the name makes perfect sense. The beasts are shy and only reveal themselves to creatures that are smaller than them, so they are known only to the natives. The natives of the Beastanger Forests – much like the wolves of Inondra's Murkshadow Mountains, the horses of Enick's Fla'enath Plains, the polar bears of Geuss's Northblood Frozenlands, the eagles of Enick's Rorrlo Cliffs, the ice dragons of Areanra's Skies of Ninefear, and the fire dragons of Enick's Firefields of Shizor – are flying squirrels, and they are the preferred prey of the local beasts. Because of this, the squirrels of the Beastanger Forests have adapted and perfected the special arts of fine killing – mostly known as 'assassination'. The society has an entire caste for these highly-skilled killers, and their main job is to find the hiding places of the beasts – who look like large, dark badgers – and kill them before they even notice. Squirrels don't usually venture out of their forests, but when they do it's been said that they are even employed by kings and heads of noble houses to assassinate their enemies. Some call them 'ninjas' or assassins, but the preferred term they use is 'sentinel'.

Branches don't even quiver when the small, russet squirrel with blonde and brown markings jumps and glides from tree to tree. Of course, stealth is a major part of their training, and her late mentor taught her well, strictly, but well. Her duel-colored eyes scan the forest floor below her while she takes cover in the tree's foliage. Her eyes, one the natural black and the other turned a royal purple, miss not even the smallest detail in her surroundings, and her ears are held alert, listening for any sounds of the lumbering beasts. But all is quiet and the only visible movement is the creeping of bugs and busy nibbling of forest mice. And is the mice are out and about, it generally means the area is safe. The flying squirrel relaxes her tiny shoulders and takes a moment to groom her ears. Beside her, a rustle of leaves gives away the location of the older squirrel who came out on patrol with her – he finally caught up.

"Alice," he calls her and she turns around to face him, "Anything?"

Alice shakes her head, "Nope. Nothing but bugs and mice. S'all clear."

He bunches himself into a sitting position and nibbles at an itch on his pale brown chest. "Good work. Let's head back to the camp for lunch."

"You go on ahead, I'll catch up," she replies and turns her attention back onto the forest floor, "I just want to check one more place."

"Suit yourself," he jumps and glides from tree to tree until Alice can no longer see him, and she jumps to a tree in a different direction.

Alice hooks her tiny claws into the bark and scrambles up the tree to get more of a bird's eye view, the small bag around her waist dangling by her tail. She lets one foot hang limp while she lays on a high branch, listening to the birds sing. But after a while, singing birds isn't the only thing that can be heard. Footsteps, heavy ones. Too heavy to be a beast. She jumps to her feet and hides in the nearest clutch of leaves. The newcomer appears to be a young male elf, a bit unsurprising because elves are common in Areanra, thanks to the Forests of Druid in the far east. But there is something off about this elf. Everything else is normal, his dirty blonde hair tied into a ponytail, his olive colored skin, his pale blue eyes, and his angular and lanky build but broad in the shoulders, but there is an unsettling aura about him. It all becomes clear once Alice notices the badge portraying an eagle insignia pinned to the green poncho that goes over his green garbs. Slowly, she reaches for a dart inside her small bag and grips the tip with her paw, using her godly abilities of void – more commonly known as death – to infuse the dart with a deadly, quick-acting poison. But before she can even aim it at the stranger, abrupt barking from the dog she'd been too busy to notice, and an arrow wizzes by her, just barely missing her ear. Alice clings to the trunk and hides herself in the leaves, watching what the young elf and his brown and tan dog would do next.

"Come out, whoever you are! Face me if you have unfriendly intentions, or I'll sic Rock on you," shouts the elf while he readies another arrow on his bow, scanning the tree. Alice stays still, and even lowers her breathing to stay under his radar. The pointy-eared dog trots towards the base of the tree and sniffs, scraping the ground with his paws. But Alice's eyes are all for the elf. There's no way she could throw her poisoned dart now, because she's lost the precious element of stealth, and he knows she's here. She just has to make sure he doesn't see her. He wouldn't be able to kill her with that arrow made of stone and wood, just damage her enough to give her the three day penalty, but that doesn't mean she's willing to be reckless. "I mean you no harm, unless you are my enemy. Please, I'll let you go!"

Alice digs her claws into the thick bark, Yeah right. My eye and your emblem mean we're enemies. I think I'll stay put. Her silence lingers in the air, and the dog walks back to his master, looking rather defeated, which tells Alice that he didn't pick up her scent at the base of the tree. But of course, why would he? Alice can jump from tree to tree, there's no need for her to ever touch ground in this dense forest. She watches the elf with narrowed eyes for what seems like an eternity, before he lowers his bow and puts the arrow back in the quiver. Giving up? Good. But she doesn't budge until the elf and his dog are out of sight. Alice stands and brushes the flakes of bark from her fur, but doesn't take her eyes from the bushes that the elf disappeared into. The world is in danger, and those people are the enemies. I can't stay here any longer. I'm sorry, everyone, but I have a purpose that carries me away from my home. People need me to defend them, and they need me more then you. She casts a forlorn look in the direction of camp before she jumps and glides from tree to tree, in the direction the elf was going.

�R:%z�Z/��&