Chapter 12

Chapter 12

" ... This is how you thank us? ... "

" Thoughts "

Year 700. April 11th. Morning [10:07]

Areanra. Outskirts of Ilae'y Ports.

So says the Timekeeper

*

Storms come and go. The Sea of Turmoil always brings them. Cruel, destructive storms from far to the east, born from that black water. To the fishermen of Ilae'y Ports, these storms are an ill omen, and it is said that not even the gods can see through those black clouds. So if men were to be trapped out there on a fishing boat, and they die, their pitiful souls will never go to the afterlife. During these storms, most stay inside their homes and pray to the god or goddess – who really cares anymore - of water to bring back their men. But their prayers are almost never answered. Those sailors are either very brave or very desperate, sailing out into the Sea of Turmoil like they do. Nobody dares venture out into those black waters, because they are said to not only bring on madness, but lead to the end of the world. And the rain that falls from the black storm clouds that cloak the skies of the Ports match them in color. The black water rain trickles on the other side of the window panes, and she can make out each droplet despite the blur to her vision. She blinks her eyes until her vision clears, and then moves on to testing her fingers. The young girl manages to lift her arm before she finally realizes that she has no idea where she is. She bolts upright, and instantly doubles over from a stab of pain in her side. "Blast!" she hisses through her teeth, "Right, I was attacked, damn that bastard to hell." Her arms are bandaged up and down, and a coil of bandages also wrap around her head, through her hair, and just under one of her eyes, the one that changed when she was chosen to be one of the new gods. However, unlike other gods who got a single color in their newly-changed eye, she was to be the new goddess of thoughts, so her eye turned colorless. It reflects whatever color comes before it, like a mirror, and thankfully it isn't transparent so anyone looking her in the eyes could see right into her brain. The other eye is a pale green, her natural color, but both are shadowed by dark circles of sleeplessness. She has a tall, willowy build, with spindly but long arms and legs. She has russet skin and dark red hair that is always tied in a somewhat messy half-braid, but this time her hair is down and tangled, whoever her captors are must have undone her braid. There is a brown blotch birth mark on the right side of her chin, and a spiral-like tattoo on her right shoulder, but that is usually covered by her metal arm brace for archery – to protect her skin from the burn of an arrow about to be shot. She isn't wearing it now, and all she wears now is her brown tunic that goes over her green long-sleeved blouse, which is also currently isn't wearing, and her long green plaited skirt. At least her captors had the decency to leave that on when they removed her blouse. Her ears are the last but probably most important of her features, as they are sharp and pointed, her trademark as an elf.

Think, think, Enndolynn, she squeezes her eyes tight and balls up her fists, remember how you got here. Thinking harder and harder only serves to give her a headache, it would seem, so she lays back down on the bed and clutches her aching sides. Slowly, her memory does start to return to her. Yes... yes, I was chasing a suspicious man through the alley ways. And then... he turned on me with a sword, flashing that obnoxious emblem they talked about last night at the meeting within a dream. We fought and... and what? I think I got knocked out. I suck at close-range combat. I should have snipped the bastard when I had the chance. She grits her teeth and turns over to scream into her pillow. Screaming always did let out all her frustrations, leaving her more clear-headed once she was finished.