iii

{tw: blood}
~*~
"I'm sorry..." Dan responded, looking away from the boy falling apart in front of his eyes.

The chocolate-eyed boy's heart ached for the boy. He knew he should feel something – considering what Phil had said; that they had been boyfriends – but Daniel was numb. How had it come to this?

"C- Can I ask-" He began. "What exactly happened?" The quizzical look returned to his face, a layer of confusion in his eyes. "Why- Why am I in hospital?"

Phil opened his mouth to speak, but the words seemed to be caught in his throat; refusing to let themselves be heard. All he was able to do was shake his head in denial. Phil still couldn't exactly comprehend what had happened; didn't want to comprehend. The whole thing seemed to happen so quickly, yet so slowly at the same time. It was a cool, dark night – the rain had only just ceased minutes before. The two had been walking along a cold, wet pavement, riddled with cracks with laughter filling the air as they attempted not to touch the cracks and markings on the path, bumping into each other and almost pushing the other over as they attempted to jump over lines. It was so carefree. But what should have been a wonderful night soon turned out to be the opposite.

It was at that moment, that the screeching of tires on tarmac echoed through the lonely streets. Phil looked up to see blinding headlights race towards them, the car they belonged to: out of control. The raven-haired boy cried out as the vehicle came closer, screaming to alert his partner. It was too late, however. The car made impact with the pavement and, with it, Dan.

Phil couldn't help but fall victim to his tears as he remembered the blood. Dan's body lay there, limp, as blood flowed from it. There had been too many sites of injury to count, and just looking at the broken boy before him had been enough to make Phil sick.

"I- It was my fault," Phil whispered. "I wasn't quick enough."

Dan's head tilted to the side, his brow furrowing once again. "What do you mean?"

"I could have stopped it, b- but I was too slow. I- I froze. I couldn't move. All I did was cry out for you."

"Phil..."

"I'm so sorry, Dan," tears had begun to slip down Phil's cheeks once more, causing his eyes to turn slightly red in colour. "It's all my fault... It's- It's all my fault! I- I'm so s- sorry!"

And with that, Phil felt himself being pulled into the arms of his love. The scent of vanilla still recognisable, despite the anti-bacterial smell that followed Phil everywhere in the hospital. The vanilla scent reminded him of home; of happier times. Dan pulled him closer and let Phil's head fall onto his shoulder.

"I- I'm so sorry-" Phil hiccuped. Dan shushed him, rubbing circles on his back in order to soothe him.

"It's okay, Phil," Dan pressed a kiss to his cheek. "It's okay."

-
written by @jetblackhowell
(ps this was so bad oops I'm sorry omg)