Chapter One:

My hands shook as I rammed all my essentials into the tight, black backpack that I had. He'd gone too far this time. My guardian had stumbled home drunk, cursing at me, threatening all sorts of things. Of course, him being a Beta - even though he'd left his pack, taking me with him, he still held the title - really didn't help me. He was much stronger than me, and when he'd tried to force himself on me, I couldn't push him off.

Luckily, he'd passed out before he'd managed to unbuckle his pants, but still, I wasn't going to risk that again, the pain, the anger and the unmistakable fear. The gut wrenching feeling that he was going to take away the one thing I still had left; my innocence.

I left the house at a run, the bright moon shone down on my black hair, I loved the black jeans and Fall Out Boy shirt I had on, but I knew that if I wanted to be out of Locksley before dawn, then I had to hurry. I felt my blood move, my bones shift and suddenly I was on four paws, not two feet. I hoisted my backpack onto my back and tore through the forest behind the village at a treacherous speed.

In a way, I was thankful that I wasn't in a pack; I wouldn't be tracked, and from the stories I'd heard, and the things I'd witnessed, I never wanted a pack. Or a mate.

The stars guided me, the moon gave me the light and the huge trees, that touched the sky, offered me shelter. My paws dug into the soft mud, my heart and soul felt blissful at being able to run free in wolf form. I was a black wolf - the colour of my hair - with a few lighter patches here and there. My wolf colour wasn't uncommon and I was grateful.

About two hours after I'd left, I found my destination. For now. I'd always known that out here - wherever 'out here' was - there was a tiny one room cottage. It would tide me over until I moved elsewhere.

My bones expanded as I shifted back, the shift wasn't painful anymore and I stretched my muscles out as I opened the door, there was no key, but there was a lock that I would definitely be using tonight. I lit the candle in the corner of the room. There was a mini fridge hooked up to a generator, a small radio on the wooden coffee table and a rather large sofa that dominated most of the room.

I walked over to the one solitary window and closed the floral patterned curtains. The floor was a darker oak wood, and the walls were a lighter wood. It would suffice. For now. The cottage already seemed more welcoming that my last house. Probably because there's no abusive ass-hole here, I thought dryly.

The next day, I fell off the sofa with a thump. I brushed my hands through my glossy hair, pulled on another pair of black jeans, some white converse and a plain red shirt. I was eager to start exploring my newfound freedom. I looked at my features in the broken piece of mirror I had brought with me. My green eyes now had a fire to them that hadn't been there before.

I had a small nose and strong cheekbones and my fringe came down to my rounded chin. I really needed to get it cut. I pushed myself up from the floor and decided that as it was light outside, and it wasn't too cold, I'd walk in my human form.

Outside, it looked the same as it had last night. An expanse of humongous trees towered overhead, they looked like pine trees, but there was no way for me to be sure. I wasn't an expert on trees. The mud was considerably drier than the night before and I could now hear the sounds of nature with my heightened senses.

As I walked, I thought. I was finally free; I could officially do what I wanted. I hadn't actually graduated school, but I'd taken my exams and gotten good results. Maybe the best thing for me to was to hide myself in a human settlement and ignore the werewolf world. I didn't want to be surrounded by their savage and cruel ways; their thirst for blood and revenge.