Chapter Two:

The sharp, twisting branches of nearby trees whacked me in the face as I pounded through the forest, pumping my legs as fast as they would go; which was pretty fast in my wolf form. I thought that I could outrun the Alpha, since he was bigger than me, and couldn't squeeze through all the small spaces that I could. 

I order you to stop! he shouted in my head. He had a powerful voice, but he wasn't my Alpha; his commands had no affect on me. Suck on that, I thought dryly. 

I could see the edge of the forest, it was a dirt road, there were no cars in sight. It wasn't the end of the territory, though and that caused a shiver to run through my body. We'd already ran for miles, how big was his pack? 

I neared the dusty, brown path, the sweet smell of petrichor hitting my muzzle. I gave a wolfy yip and sped up, so close, I thought. 

Suddenly, there were no trees rushing past me. I was down, and it was only as my heart beat came to a steady pace that I felt the burning pain in my hind left leg. It seared throughout my body and made a painful howl tear through my mouth. I'd been bitten! The culprit, a medium sized white wolf with black eyes, stood above me, teeth bared. 

I growled at him and tried to get up, my legs shook and I almost went down again. Almost. I shot off again, as fast as I could, with an injury to my leg and desperately fought my way to the road. I had to get there, I had to get off this land! Surely, the Alpha wouldn't leave this side of the forest, he had to protect it. 

An angry, savage growl stopped me. Understanding hit me. The Alpha, my mate, was going to kill the other wolf for hurting me. As much as I yearned for the feel of the dusty ground beneath my paws, I couldn't let another wolf die for an innocent mistake. He thought I was a rogue, which I technically was, he didn't know I was his Alpha's mate.  

I turned around and bounded back to where they both were. The white wolf had his head in his front paws, submitting to his omnipotent Alpha, who stood above him, his paw ready to strike. I mustered up the last bit of strength I had and threw myself at the Alpha, just as his paw went down to presumably kill the other wolf. 

I wasn't an Alpha, but he was my mate, therefore we could talk to each other through the link, at least I hoped we could. Stop! I screamed. 

Do not tell me what to do, Rogue. He sounded furious, but I didn't care, he was not going to kill another wolf for hurting me. It couldn't work like that, and if it did then I wanted nothing more to do with him, or any other wolf. 

Even though my legs buckled, and the world swayed before me, I stayed on four paws and stared hard at the Alpha. You are NOT my Alpha, I shot back. 

I will be, as soon as I mark you, he said. My eyes widened and I bared my teeth at him. He was not going to mark me; I wasn't going to stay for long enough. I went to run again, but faltered when I realised how weak I was. The last thing I saw before I passed out was the relieved face of the white wolf. 

***

I coughed, my eyes opened and my heart rate shot up like I'd just woken up in a strange place, which I had done. I was in a bed, the covers were black and so were the walls, the floor was a dark blue and the curtains were drawn. The bed was large and comfortable. It smelled of pine and chocolate, an alluring smell that made me want to drool. 

I jumped out of the bed, in human form, as I realised that I must be in his bed. Him being the Alpha. To my left, at the side of the bed was a door that must've led to the bathroom, on the other side of the bed was an open door that led to a hallway and at the foot of the bed was a mahogany wardrobe. 

I looked down at my figure; someone had dressed me. Very badly. I was in blue jeans and a purple floral top. So not my style. I started to sweat as I realised that I had no idea where I was, which meant I had no idea where to go. 

"You're awake," a cold voice said behind me. 

I froze and slowly turned around. There, in front of me was my mate. He had black shaggy hair that fell into his face, his electrifying blue eyes captured mine. His cheekbones were prominent, and he had a square jaw. The ratty grey shirt he had on showed his thin figure, and although he had no muscle, he looked strong. 

A twinge of jealousy ran through me as I saw his black jeans and converse, my dream clothes. I ignored the sensation I felt towards him, the undeniable pull to just be close to him. I couldn't afford to think like that, I needed to keep a clear head if I had any hope of surviving. 

"Name?" he demanded when I didn't respond. 

I didn't want to tell him my full name, I just knew that whenever he said it, I'd fall down at his knees.

"Sky," I said, shortening my name. Somehow, I thought that if he didn't have my full name -Skylar - he wouldn't have as much power over me. 

"Shane," he introduced himself. A flare of fire that I lacked when I was with my 'Father' lightened inside of me. 

"I didn't ask for your name," I spat. He growled lowly, and his back tensed. 

"You will show me some respect!" he roared. 

"Or what?" I asked, I walked closer and poked him in the chest, ignoring the warm, full feeling I got at the gesture.  "What are you going to do?" I'd been through so much, that he couldn't break me, no matter what he did. 

"I'll keep you locked in this room, without contact with anyone," he said, a smug smile plastered on his face. I shrugged, I hadn't talked to anyone for years, in fact this was the first proper contact with anyone I'd had for ages; I hadn't talked to anyone at school, I'd just stayed emotionless to all the bullying that I'd received. 

"Go ahead, maybe then I'll get some peace," I offered. He narrowed those perfect eyes at me, and watched as I took a few steps back. "The again," I started, "It's not like I'm staying here," I said. Instantly, he came forward, placed both hands by my head against the wall, blocking me in and said: 

"You're not going anywhere, Rogue." The closeness of his body made my mind come up with scenarios where we always ended up on the bed. I pushed those thoughts aside, ignored the feeling of his breath on my face and stared him dead in the eye. 

"You can't make me stay," I said lowly. He raised his eyebrows and moved his head down towards my neck, right where he'd mark me. His teeth grazed the spot, causing goosebumps to cover my skin. 

With all my force, I pushed him back, my eyes flashed black with anger. "No! You will not mark me!" The power in my voice made him take a huge step back and he faltered, looking at me in an odd way. Even I felt strange, I'd never had power before, I wasn't an Alpha or any type of strong wolf, I wasn't even in a pack!

"You will not tell me what to do. I am an Alpha, I demand respect!" he shouted. 

"You can't demand respect. You can't expect respect, you have to earn respect! And the way you're going leads me to believe that you'll never get respect off me!" The words drew a bubble of power from within and it caused my head to spin. I squeezed my eyes shut and concentrated on staying awake. 

"You're nothing but a Rogue, you have to respect me!" 

This wasn't working, we couldn't do this, and I didn't want to. 

"Do you have a pack Healer?" I asked, only pack healers could perform the ritual to remove the bond, and frankly, it was a risk that I was willing to take. 

Confusingly, Shane's face turned worried, he rushed towards me, body tensed. "Why? What's wrong?" he asked. 

"You," I said. "I want to break our bond. I don't want to be your mate, I never even wanted a mate in the first place."