Chapter Three:

Shane looked flabbergasted and annoyed. His body became even more tensed, if that were even possible. "You don't want a mate?" he ground out. I could literally hear his teeth grinding together.

"I'm pretty sure you don't need me to repeat what I said," I told him.

Shane roared. Roared. His eyes were turning darker. The room suddenly didn't seem so inviting, the bed just looked like something that Shane could use to force me into the bond, the bathroom door looked like a good place for him to tie me up and hide me, the wardrobe was big and dark, holding many secrets that I would have preferred to stay hidden.

The only escape, apart from the small window, was the door that led into the hallway. The thought of bumping into other werewolves made me physically sick, and I had to take a deep breath to stop myself from throwing up all over Shane's tattered converse.

"No. I won't allow it," Shane rasped.

"Excuse me?" I said. "You won't allow it? I'm my own person, any decision I make is mine! Not yours! You are not my Alpha, and soon you won't be my mate!" I tried to keep my voice calm, but I knew that I had probably failed.

Shane lunged forward, grabbed my arm and pulled me out of his room. We went down the hallway at an alarming speed. The colours of white, brown and black flashed before me until, finally, we reached a door. We entered and I saw that this was, in fact, the pack's healing room.

The sterile whiteness of it hurt my eyes, and the smell of chemicals made me sneeze, which forced Shane to let go of my arm. Beds lined the walls equipped with machines that would measure heart rates and all sorts of stuff that I would never be able to understand. A woman, older than both Shane and I, sat in a black chair, scribbling hurriedly on some paper that lay on a pure white desk.

Her greying hair was pulled into a tight bun on the top of her head, she wore white overalls and black silky trousers that matched her black sandals. She had brown eyes and a wrinkly, soft face. My first instinct was to trust her, but really, you couldn't trust anybody these days, especially if they happened to be a werewolf.

"Yes, Alpha?" she asked, bowing her head in respect. I gritted my teeth and resisted the urge to tell her to not bow to him, when I was pretty sure he didn't treat her with respect.

It didn't matter, though. He was here to break our bond, so whatever I thought didn't matter any more, I could keep on going, I could get further away from 'home.' Closer to freedom.

"I need you to check her vitals," he said matter-of-factly. My jaw dropped and I struggled to comprehend why he was doing this.

"No!" I blurted. "We're here to break our mate bond!" I said, looking into the Healer's eyes, begging her to believe me. "Isn't that right?" I asked, turning my glare towards Shane.

He said nothing to me and nodded his head at the Healer. She brought out a needle from behind her back and I instantly stiffened. I growled at her. "Put it down," I commanded, I didn't even know where the power had come from, it was just something that took over inside of me.

To my amazement, and Shane's surprise, the Healer dropped the needle and stared at me. "What was your pack and rank?" Shane spoke up. The question caught me off-guard and I stumbled for an answer.

"I was never part of a pack," I told them both.

"Lucinda, is that rare?" Shane asked, turning to the Healer. She nodded her head.

"Wolves aren't solitary animals, our primal instinct is to be a part of a pack," she explained, looking at me with slightly curious eyes. She seemed hesitant to speak up again, but she did. "Who is your dad?" she asked me.

"I don't know," I said truthfully. I'd been placed with the man I had endured sixteen long years with as a baby, never knowing who my birth parents were. All I knew was that they, too, were werewolves and my 'Father' and decided to give me to Derek, as he was also werewolf.

"How can you not know who your dad is?" Shane growled at me, giving me a look that said he wanted to kick me out and kiss me at the same time, but he just didn't know which one to do first.

"I lived with a family friend," I shot back.

"Why were you running then?" Shane asked me in the same tone. I gulped, this was something that I definitely did not want to get into.

"That, I think, is none of your business," I said icily. Shane growled, deep in his chest. The sound vibrated in my chest and made me feel a moment of pleasure, before I pushed it out and replaced it with nothingness.

"Let's just get this over with. I want to break the bond. Now." It was absolutely necessary, I had no idea how far from Locksley I was, I could only be half an hour a way, and that would make it easier for him to track me. Him being Derek, my 'carer'.

"No," Shane growled. "We're not breaking the bond. I'm not giving up. Not yet," he said, his voice softening. Well then, I thought dryly, I'll just have to make you give up. Since he was determined to give 'us' a chance, I thought that I'd stay around and make him give up, so we could break the bond in a quick and simple manner.

I needed to know one thing first, though. "How-" My voice broke. Clearing my throat, I tried again. "How far are we from Locksley?" I swallowed thickly, waiting for the answer.

"Not far. Half a day's travel, at the most," Shane clarified. I paled, half a day's travel? That was too close, I had to leave, soon. If Shane wasn't willing to cooperate and end the bond, I had to make sure he didn't want me as a mate, which wouldn't be too hard.

However, the other part of me argued that I couldn't take the risk. I had to leave, now. My wolf and I hated the idea of begging, but we did it anyway. I looked him in the eyes, my own becoming wet with tears.

"Please," I whispered. "You have to let me go, I can't-" I swallowed thickly and took a large gulp of air. "I can't stay," I croaked. Shane frowned at me, I could see the wisp of want; the way he had to hold himself back from coming over and comforting me. A traitorous tear escaped my left eye. My façade was breaking, and I hated it.

I turned away before Shane and Lucinda could see the cascade of tears that were inevitably about to come. I didn't want a mate; that much I was certain of. But, maybe I wouldn't have minded a pack if it was further away, across the country, on the other side of the world; nowhere was too far. I just wanted to get away. Why was that so hard?

I hated to admit it, but the bond with Shane was growing even though it had been only a few hours, I didn't know if that was because of him or me, but I didn't like it. I wasn't going to escape from one monster, and then be forced to spend the rest of my life with another. I had things I wanted to do, I couldn't let anyone else control me, they'd done it too many times already.

Suddenly, I wasn't so alone any more. Arms wrapped around my waist from behind, sending warm tingles all around my body that made me feel safe, secure and happy. Three things that I'd never felt before, although the feelings were strange, they weren't unwanted.

Before I knew what I was doing, I leaned into Shane's body and he sighed in satisfaction.