coffee shop

Another rainy day in San Francisco. We barely got a sunny day this whole year. Its been awhile since I've went to the beach.

Walking down the street from my apartment, I go through a busy crowd. I head towards the little coffee shop around the corner and all ready there's a line out the door. The best coffee shop in town has the smallest square feet. I rush in line almost tripping over myself.

As I stand in line all I can hear is some random people giggling from behind me. Just as I take a step forward someone bumps into my guitar bag. I turn around to see a couple messing with each other.

"Sorry..." The girl apologizes with slight humor in her tone. She covers her mouth using her hands, trying to hide the laughs from escaping her mouth. The length of her nails were sinister. You could tell she over did the outline of her lip.

I sneer back at her as politely as possible. I get a quick glance at the guy who bumped into me just before the barista called me up.

"Hey Lauren!" Alexis greets me with a big smile, "the usual?"

"Of course!" I affirmed, "What time do you get off work?"

"What time is it?" Alexis asks.

"Almost five," I answered.

"Great! Do you mind waiting a few minutes?"

"No problem!"

"I'm just going to help out my last customer,"

I walked across the street and took out a pack of cigs. I knew Alexis would take more than just a few minutes. I place my latte on the roof of the pay phone. I place the cigarette between my lips and cup around the top in order to light it. I breathe in and suddenly my mind was clear. I grabbed my coffee and took a sip. The blend of smokes and coffee balanced each other out.

Five minutes pass by and Alexis still isn't done. A few more minutes pass and I see that she's still helping that same couple. Next thing I know their walking towards me.

I take one last sip of my coffee before dropping my cigarette bud into it.

"Hi, I'm Arzaylea. Your friend Alexis asked us to tell you that she won't be getting off soon," She informed.

"You've got to be kidding me" I exhausted.

"Sorry..." The guy said.

I ignored the both of them and walked across the street towards Alexis.

"What happened Alex?" I asked.

"One of the coffee machines suddenly broke, and Johnny said I have to work extra hours to pay it off," She told me.

"That's exactly what I said!" Johnny came out from the back.

"Come on Johnny, you know that coffee machine was meant to break," I pleaded, "Can't Alexis get off off work already?"

"After she works off the money for the machine," Johnny blankly spoke.

"But I've been working 12 hours straight!" Alexis joined the conversation.

"12hours?" Johnny questioned, "Your not suppose to be working for no longer than 10 hours."

"Yeah I know but Zac didn't show up for his shift and I couldn't leave the customers hanging," Alexis explained.

We stood there for a few minutes watching Johnny think to himself.

"You know what..." Johnny makes up his mind, "Okay, okay you could go..."