michael-1

The streets of Brooklyn were cold and dark as Michael made his way deeper into the sketchy streets. The night was bitter. The feeling in his chest weighing him down. That could only mean one thing.

Dark Ones. They were everywhere in New York, and even more so once one got into the alleyways of Brooklyn. Michael didn't know what street he was on, and honestly he didn't care. He just needed to get a far away from the Light Realm and his grieving mother as possible.

Today was the anniversary of his father's death. Michael didn't remember much of his father, he was only four at the time, but from what he can tell he could tell his father was one of the best beings to ever live. Michael could remember some of the times when Marcellus would take him on a walk around Times Square, both of them walking amongst the humans. He always spoke of the good in them. Funny how it was one of them that killed him.

Michael's thoughts were interrupted by a loud crashing coming from the alleyway. Expecting a Dark One, Michael made sure his wings were spread before he glanced in to see...

A small human boy, around eighteen, was sitting with his back leaning against the wall. Crying. Michael quickly hid his wings, their form changing into the tattoos on his arms, and he'd slowly walked towards the boy.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, cautiously making his way deeper into the alleyway. It was so dark that Michael couldn't even tell what the boy looked like other than his age.

"Go away, I have mace and I'm not afraid to use it," The boy stumbled to his feet and went to run away, but Michael gently touched his wrist, immediately calming the boy down. Guardians had that ability; to calm people down, help them relax.

"What's your name?" Michael sighed once the boy turned and his demeanor changed to one of calm.

"Calum," He sounded confused. "How did you do that?"

"Do what?" Michael scoffed, acting clueless. He then gestured for Calum to get out of the alleyway, and he did. Michael would finally see his sad brown eyes in the light of the dim streetlight. His dark hair looking frazzled; like he had recently raked his hand through the wavy locks. His cheeks were wet. His face was flushed. He looked so tired. "Now why were you in an alleyway?"

"It's none for your business," Calum spat, his arms crossing over his chest. Michael noticed a few tattoos. "Why'd you start talking to me anyways? What're you supposed to be, a guardian angel?"

Michael thought about the irony before he spoke, "I just thought you needed help, I dunno."

Calum looked at Michael with narrowed eyes, as if he was trying to figure him out.

"Okay, well, I'm fine," Calum rolled his eyes. "You can leave now."

"Let me walk you home," Michael suggested.

"Let you, a complete stranger, walk me home at 3am?" Calum scoffed. "Not likely."

"But you're in an alleyway on the streets of Brooklyn," Michael raised an eyebrow. "That's not particularly safe either."

Calum huffed, obviously annoyed.

"I'll take that as a yes," Michael laughed lightly, and Calum cracked a small smile.

"Whatever, stranger," Calum started walking in the direction of where Michael came. Michael silently stayed beside Calum as they walked. Every so often a car would pass, but for some reason the streets were, for the most part, empty.

That scared Michael. He knew the Dark Ones could be messing with his head. That's what they did after all. All Dark Ones have different abilities. Some cause nightmares. Others steal things from houses in order to confuse people as to how they had lost their belongings. And some caused paranoia.

Michael hated feeling paranoid.

"This is me," Calum stopped walking and stood at the stairs of an apartment building. They were across from Central Park. How had time passed so quickly?

"Oh, alright," Michael smiled. He didn't particularly want to leave Calum. He felt some sort of strange connection that he couldn't explain.

They stood there for a few more minutes with the wind slightly blowing.

"I'm Michael, by the way."

"You look like a Michael," Calum smiled. "Well, thanks. Bye, Michael."

Michael watched Calum until he disappeared behind the door.

hello do you like this