Part 2

July, 1821

All I wanted to do on this gorgeous summer's was climb a tree and be kept company by a good book. I never liked to be around people much, and found comfort and solace in being alone. I opened to the first page of the book I stole from Mr. Barton's library. Hours passed in what seemed like minutes. They always do when an interesting book is being read.

"Freckle face, come down from there." A young male voice called, startling me. I rolled my eyes. Only one would call me such a name.

"Go away Roger." I demanded.

"Fine, miss dinner. I don't care." He said.

I was surprised at the late hour and scrambled down the tree as quickly as possible. I'd taken refuge there for years and knew the location of every nook and branch.

"You're good at that," he observed in admiration "for a girl." He quickly added, remembering himself.

I smirked at him." I am certain I am better at it than you."

He laughed. "I will prove that you are wrong."

"Race me." I challenged.

His dark eyes lit up. He loved any sort of competition.

We raced back to the tree and simultaneously began to climb. After many shoves to and from Roger, I made it to the top first. I smiled in triumph at him. He looked angry. I hurt his over inflated pride.

"We need to eat dinner." He said harshly and jumped out of the tree. "I beat you down." He laughed condescendingly.

"That is simply because you were much closer to the ground than I." I reminded him and got down myself.

He gave me a light shove and began to run. I ran after him but I was not nearly as fast. He claimed the victory of beating me to the house.

Miss Evans was scandalized by my disheveled appearance. A lady didn't let her dress tear. A lady didn't allow herself to be seen with her hair down. Well a lady obviously never lived life. Mrs. Evans didn't seem to care that Roger needed to be taught a lesson, and that my hair never stayed in a braid because I had not a curl or wave to keep it secure. If 'improper' meant letting my light brown hair fall out every once in a while and embarrassing Roger, I was glad she called me it.

A servant to dress me for dinner. I never understood the need to change so often but that was the way things were. Miss Evans found many occasions to remind me of this. In my eyes, 'it is this way because it is the way things are' was not a valid reason for anything.

"You ought to wear this dress Miss," the servant girl suggested "it will bring out the lovely green color of your eyes."

I studied the dress she held out before me. I thought it much to fine for a normal family dinner.

"Why would I wear this?" I asked. "It is not as if I want to impress anyone."

"What about Mr. Roger Barton?" She implored. "He's handsome and has already received the attention of several pretty young ladies. You will have to fight for his attention. You have a good chance mind. Your beauty is natural and makes other girls seem over done. "

"I will never seek Roger's attention." I stated vehemently. "Never speak about such things again."

The servant bowed her head in submission and helped me into my plainest dress, the one I chose for Roger's eyes.

When everyone sat down to dinner, I studied Roger's face across the table. I was looking for the handsomeness everyone claimed was there. He did posses the promise of becoming a very handsome man. His strong cheek bones and dimpled chin were prominent, even at his young age.

I continued to consider him ugly. That pompous idiot could be the best looking man in the world and still make me cringe the moment I saw him.

"Mira stop glaring at Roger, it is unattractive and unladylike." Mrs. Barton scolded me.

"Yes Mira, your face does look unattractive like that." Roger remarked. "The sad truth is it always looks that way."

"Just be glad you don't have to see your ugly face all day." I shot back.

"You are a terrible little girl!" He exclaimed.

"I may be little but at least I do not act as immature as you do. You are fourteen. Act like it!" I yelled.

"You're eleven freckle face act like it yourself." He returned.

"I do, but you-"

"Children, please." Mrs. Barton interrupted. "Do not fight at the table."

"I am not a child Mother!" Roger scoffed.

"Then don't act like one." I said.

Benjamin looked very uncomfortable by our outbursts. He never liked any sort of discord. There was a lot of it between Roger and I. He asked if he could forgo dinner.

"You may not Benjamin." Mrs. Barton said.

Mr. Barton was reading a book while eating, therefore had no input in anything. Mrs. Barton was fine with such behavior, as long as he behaved himself in front of guests.

"Please Mother." The young boy pleaded, looking at Roger and I in fear.

"See what you've caused little Mira?" Roger asked.

I wanted to fight back but decided not to, only for Benjamin's sake. He was a year younger than me and the only one in this family that showed me any kindness. I considered him as a little brother.

I shoved a huge forkful of food into my mouth and seethed in silence. Mrs. Barton would usually criticize such behavior, but chose to be thankful for the lack of yelling. Roger angrily chewed his food as well, glowering at me. He never pushed anything further unless I pushed back. If I were the sort of girl who never stood up for herself we would have gotten along, but I wasn't. Not with him anyways.