01

Chapter One

Warnings:

This story contains discussion about religious origins. Please do not read if you get offended when God is talked about, the character has Christian faith.

This story will also contain strong language and sexual interactions. Please read at your own risk.

This is a work of fiction, I don't own 5 seconds of summer, and all ideas are my own. Any scenes related to another story or movie is completely coincidental. Any copying of this story is illegal and there will be consequences with the authorities if I find out anyone has done so.

Happy reading,

Ashly.

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

Present day

"You promised me you'd never give up, Adelaide." Ashton whispered, voice cracking at the end of his sentence. "You promised me, you wouldn't." I turned my head to look at the man seated next to me. The bags under his eyes made him look older than he was. His appearance made me want to cringe. Not because he looked awful-which he didn't-it was because I felt sorry. Sorry for everything i've ever put him through.

"I think it's time, though. Don't you think it is?" My voice was soft; hesitant. Ashton was a ticking time bomb, anything could send him off in his vulnerable state. He shook his head, I don't think Ashton was ever going to be ready to let me go. Not after everything we've been through as a couple. It took at least a month for me to say yes to marry him.

Ashton's eyes started to tear up, his hazel spectacles turning a shade of dark brown instead of his usual green. "No. No, it's never too late. You can't leave me, not like this." Salty liquid leaked from his right eye, then came down like a waterfall all at once. My heart shattered into a million pieces. You could see the hurt on his face, laced within every crevice. It was something I didn't want to see ever again.

"Ash baby, I love you so much. Please know that." I dragged my thumb lethargically under his puffy eyelids, wiping the tears that were released just seconds ago. His face held years of aging. Dark circles remained under his eyes due to the fact he has not slept in days. Crying made his cheeks flush severely, making him look like he had a bad case of eczema. Even in his broken state, he was beyond perfect; breathtaking. There would never be a day where I thought he wasn't. His eyes, red with crying, took over every aspect of my body. Not in a sexual, needing way, but in a loving way; trying to remember every detail of me as if I was going to die right here and right now.

Mia, one of the nurses on call today walked into the room, interrupting our depressing conversation. "Excuse me, Sir. It's time for you to leave. Miss Irwin is ready for her last round of chemo." She edged Ashton out of the room and closed the door softly behind him. Her movements were sluggish, as if she didn't want to do her job; knowing it would only kill me in the end. Deep down, I knew something was telling me that this was probably going to be the last. There was something in the air, in my gut that screamed 'this is it'. How does someone come at peace with the fact that they will die? Some sooner or later, but how is it done? Truth is, I wasn't ready to die. But I also know that maybe it was supposed to happen. Everything happens for a reason, right?

Chemo was slowly tearing apart my body, killing every white and red blood cell; stripping me of normal bodily functions. It gets harder everyday just to stand up on my own. My doctor told me many times that there was no reason to continue therapy. There was no way it would help, anyway. I continued it; however, so Ashton could have something to hold onto. I needed -wanted- Ashton to keep hope that maybe, just maybe, something would turn out okay. If Ashton didn't have hope, I didn't have hope. I love him with every bone and fiber in my body. He was my rock, my salvation. "Are you ready, Adelaide?" The nurse I kenw all too well, asked. Her eyes burned a deep shade of blue, sadness laced in between. I hated that look, the look of pity. I don't need people to feel sorry for me. Especially because there is nothing they could do about it, they didn't make this happen, it wasn't their fault. Someone once said, "I don't understand why mundanes apologize for things that are not their fault." That was true, why did we?

I nodded my head, yes; pursing my lips into a straight line. Well, this is it then. Mia helped me out of the chair I currently occupied and lied me gingerly on the hospital bed, the paper crumpling underneath me. The antisepic wipe she used to clean off any 'germs' was cold against my fragile skin, the contact making me shiver; making tiny pinpoint bumps appear up and down my body. Everything was ten times colder than it normally was to an average person. One thing I absolutely hated.

I was startled when I felt coldness all throughout my body. Mia had already put the IV in, much to my amazement, and started the chemicals. The pain chemo gave was nothing of this world, but nonetheless soothing. Soothing to feel anything else other than the sadness radiating off of these four walls. My eyelids grew heavy, and since these sessions take about an hour or two at most, I wanted some sleep.

It felt like days had gone by once my eyes finally snapped open. Everything was blurry as I looked around at my surroundings. Everything was the same as I fell asleep. "So," I croaked, voice hoarse from sleep. "Am I done?" Mia didn't move a muscle, or even aknowledge that I had just asked her a question. "Mia?" There was still no answer from the woman who sat beside me reading a magazine. I got up out of bed, immediately noticing that my body had felt lighter than before. Looking down, a massive gasp escaped my slightly agape mouth. I was no longer in my body, my limp corpse lie motionless right below me. I could no longer contain the scream bubbling within me. "Mia!" I yelled, fear and panic creeping into my every breath. "Mia, what the hell is happening?!" I waived my hands repeatedly in her face, not getting any response. The tears that were gathering in my eyes fell in one great waterfall. I was scared; petrified. I didn't know what to do.

"Dear, it's alright." I heard a woman speak, and turned my head to the culprit who made the noise. My mouth dropped, and my heart constricted as I stared at the the person I haven't seen in so long. "Grandma?" My eyes widened in shock as I continued to stare at her. She died when I was just ten years old. I missed her more than anything. The memories of her and I were slowly fading; only the best ones remained stationary in my brain.

"Yes, sweetheart." Her smile grew wide with joy and with sadness.

"What's going on?"

"You'll see in time come. Follow your path and you will know." And just like that, she was gone. Follow the path and I'll know... Know what?

I was interrupted from my confused state when I heard a female cry out in agony. "Code blue, thirteen! Code blue, thirteen! She's going into cardiac arrest!" The beeping of the heart monitor was going ballistic, my heart rate kept raising and raising, but then it stopped. The constant beeping was replaced with a long, loud sound of the line going dead. Doctors were all huddled over me with panicked looks. It look as if they were about to lose their child they've ever had. "Clear!" One screamed and attached two small, silver plates to my chest. My body arched in one slick movement, only to lie restless again. Doctors were struggling to keep me alive.

"No!" Ashton's voice became apparent over the hoard of medical personnel around me. It wasn't long before I saw his face; tears streaming out of his eyes, down his cheeks, and onto his lips. "No! No, please don't die on me!"

"Will someone get him out of here!?" A short and stubby man, who looked like a midget, screamed. As no one listened to him he rolled his eyes and made his way to my husband, ushering him out and out of sight. My body was gone before I had another chance to see what was happening. Instead, I was next to Ashton. Did I seriously just see my own death?

Edited

*1,512 words*