Section Three

*21

Do not have your story suffer with clichés. I bet you anything the first guy and the first girl who’s introduced in the story always end up together in the end. If they hate each other, it’s even more obvious they’ll soon become couples.

Stories about jocks, players, jerks, nerds, geeks, emos, Mary Sues, rich people, arranged marriages, boarding school, living with a famous guy, gorgeous people who are paid to be your partner, dressing up as a boy and going to an all boy’s school, or love in general may be infected with platitudes. (No, those aren’t animals.)

*22

The hypocrites (heh, heh).

*23

When people have those little smiley faces in their story: ^.^ ;) =0) I think I might have to give you a high-five in the face for being so brilliant.

*24

When Wattpad crashes – which you start to get when it’s opened for a while.  Grrr, Wattpad, if you keep this up, I’m going to have to take Tumblr’s crown and place it on you!

*25

You know what I love? When the main character calls other girls “Barbies” when she herself is one, but just a brunette version.

[Author’s Note: Wow this is going by so quickly.]

*26

When authors write a random note in the middle of their story. Whether it’s in the middle of a chapter, or as a separate chapter in between chapters, it’s annoying.

*27

Sometimes, prologues aren’t necessary, something I think  a lot of writers on here don’t notice. (A lot, as in, nearly HALF of the stories on here start with it.)

Prologues usually aren’t PART of the story, but more like the “backstory.” Think of it as a crutch; it’s there to let the reader have a little knowledge beforehand so they can understand things more easily later on.

An example would be, say, there’s a cursed box with a boy locked inside, and the main character is another girl who finds that box. The prologue could be from the boy’s point of view, and revolving about how he became locked in a box. Then the rest of the story is about the girl.

*28

When people plagiarize or steal other’s ideas. Really, it’s not cool, and I was the one who originally thought up that idea, so at least give me some credit if you’re going to use it!

*29

When writers think other writers are plagiarizing or copying them.

Newsflash: there’s a major probability of two people thinking the same idea, and not having any relevance whatsoever of the other person’s mere existence. (And it’s not exactly plagiarism if what they copied was as vague as “girl falling in love with a magical creature.” Believe me, that plot has been played many times before you wrote your story, hun.)

In other words, she didn’t copy you so get out of her face.

And hey, there’s been a major outbreak of werewolves and vampires in the fictional world since Twilight was a big hit, but Ms. Meyer didn’t sue anyone now, did she?

*30

How Wattpad lets people add images about their stories. I’m not quite sure why I feel hesitant about this. I mean, I get how it would help the reader imagine the setting and how the characters look, but . . . you just don’t get that feature in real books.

Imagination is the essence of reading.

Why is it the book version is usually better than the movie version?

The reader already imagined the characters and settings their own way, so if what you imagined didn’t match what was in the movie, then you’d become disappointed. Therefore, you’d think the movie sucks.

That’s how I see those provided images. What if I think the “actor” you picked looks creepy and ugly? It kind of ruins the character.

You shouldn’t need images and videos to help your story.

And yeah I know, if I don’t like it then just don’t use or read it, or whatever your argument is. Rawr, rawr, rawr.