Chapter 6

Chapter 6: In which Bobette plots, Draco loses his innocence, and everyone is a bit oblivious

The first step, she told herself, was to create an atmosphere of trepidation and restlessness. Then they would've had the perfect environment for what followed.

Bobette smirked (mentally, for she had no discernible mouth), and set to action. The first phase of the plan rested heavily on her, and she would have hated to disappoint her comrades of the as of yet unnamed Association that purported to overthrow the humans, or at least to make them compromise and acknowledge the Inferi.

Mostly though, she thought blushing (or at least achieving a slight darkening of her mostly inexistent cheeks), she didn't want to disappoint the Boss. But anyway, it wasn't the time to think of such inconsequential matters, for she felt on her putrefying shoulders the weight of responsibility as the one responsible of The Plan's first phase. Indeed, as she eyed a man, one of Voldemort's minions, who was carelessly offering his back at her and writing something on a notebook, she felt her rotting flesh tremble in trepidation and pride. She was surprised at the easiness of her task, at the defenselessness of her target, who was absorbed in taking notes, apparently, and at the lightness of the scimitar in her hand. He was strangely weak-looking and wore thick glasses, but it didn't matter.

She took a step towards him, but it may as well have been a declaration to the world. A message thrown loud and clear to masses of prejudiced, complacent humans. The enormity of what it meant was staggering.

It was a small, very slow step for an Inferius, but a giant leap for Inferius-kind.

* * * *

Harry was at school. Boring school with boring teacher who looked at him like he was covered in rainbows, or something equally disgusting. But today something was different.

Today, one thing filled him with awe and fear, apart from Pansy's yellow dress. And that was Draco's tale. The young Malfoy heir had undergone a change people only saw when comparing soldiers before and after war. He had an air, a look, that was as different from the boy Harry had know just a day prior as night was from day.

"It happened in his study," the blond boy said gravely, looking around at the classmates staring at him unsettled but intrigued.

"Father said to me 'You're almost ten, and it is time to have a talk, father and son, about reponsibility and nature, honor and necessity, and first and foremost, life. Do you know where babies come from?'"

His audience collectively sucked in a breath, Blaise starting to turn green, Crabbe and Goyle looking at each other, primal fear etched in their eyes, even Astoria Greengrass, usually the very epitome of haughtiness and aristocracy, was swallowing and sweating, steadying herself by holding onto a desk. Somehow, the horrifying sight of Pansy's yellow dress made everything even worse. Honestly, she dressed like that and she was surprised when Harry threw tarantulas at her?

In any event, the only one seemingly unaffected was Theo, but his apprehension showed in the way he was sitting: a bit too straight, a bit too immobile.

Harry, for his part, felt intense pity for Draco, whose eyes truly looked old and tired like those of a man who'd seen and heard unspeakable things.

"He was smiling, you know," the Malfoy scion added, hollow-eyed and deprived of the will to live. "I won't tell you what he said, because every single one of you will experience that on his own, sooner or later, but I will tell you this: beware of the words 'we have to talk', or 'it is time we talked', because your very life won't be the same again!"

Harry was still pitying his classmates, but was not he himself frightened. Because, come on. It wasVoldemort they were talking about. As if he'd ever say something like that. At most he'd throw a book his way and flee, something like 'Analysis And Scientific Consequences of Life Creation, Vol. III'.