Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT~

"My super-secret crush is you."

Sydney's parting words kept echoing in Dion's mind. Perhaps he had known subconsciously of her crush. He was not that dense and he knew there had to be a reason why she blushed every time he complimented her or got too close. Honestly, he was not as shocked as he should have been. He was more surprised by her angered tone than her actual confession.

He watched as the car sped away into the distance, powerless to stop it and unable to yell even if he wanted to. He was frozen on his spot. His voice had abandoned him.

"What the hell?" he breathed.

"Was it that surprising Dion?" Kaila asked softly as she walked up beside him. "Honestly, I saw right through her from the moment she woke up. She had such an adoring look on her face and she kept blushing. And when her mother made her hug you? TV worthy."

Dion could not bring himself to respond as Kaila continued to point out every little thing she noticed. He tuned her out as he stared outside, watching as people drove up to their shops, preparing to open after a three day break.

"Dion?" Kaila nudged him gently.

Guilt crept up on him slowly. Did he hurt her? He hadn't meant to hurt her at all. He didn't want to do that; he never wanted to be the cause of anyone's pain ever again. His mind whirled and he could only think in short, broken up fragments.

"Did I hurt her?" Dion waited for Kaila's answer anxiously, hoping that his older sister would be able to understand Sydney better.

Kaila's silence was enough of an answer.

Guilt instantly consumed Dion and panic flooded his system. He caused this problem. He caused it. But did... was he the right person to fix it? Or should he leave her alone? Which would make her feel better? Which would make her smile again? If she saw him, how would she react? Question after question bombarded his conscious relentlessly.

"Don't keep blaming yourself," Kaila rushed to say when she saw the conflicted look that flashed over his face, "You didn't do it intentionally and you certainly didn't expect this," she assured, trying to pull her brother out of his guilt-plagued pit.

"Did I?" he raised his head so he could meet her eyes. "Do it intentionally I mean?"

Kaila's answer was instantaneous. "No. Most definitely not. You aren't the type of person to do that."

Dion nodded, knowing that he should not do anything to blow up this problem and make it into something it was not. She had confessed. He had an inkling about her crush earlier on but acted like his normal 'overfriendly' self anyway. What was done had been done. He could not fix the past as much even if he wanted to. Dion wasn't sure if he would go undo the past three days even if he could. He had a lot of fun with Sydney and he knew for a fact that she had lots of fun despite the few accidents where she unjustly blamed herself. He made a mental note to ask about that again if he ever got the chance to. No, when he got the chance to.

"So what now?" he asked, looking to Kaila for guidance.

"Now," Kaila began as she steered him into the kitchen, "you work your shift and then, we'll make a plan."

At that moment, his parents called out for them so the siblings rushed into the kitchen to complete another thing on his list.

For now, he would bury himself in his work. The Sydney situation would have to wait until he cleared his head a little bit.